Does anyone here with MS go surfing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marti

Your answer made me fall apart laughing. Good one!

Diagnosed 6-28-14
    RRMS
    Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

Pool watcher,

I plan to go swimming very soon. For years before my dx I was a regular at the pool every night. That was 1977 to 2010. Then after the first big flair I tried to get back to my old routine and found I didn't feel well. When I swam it would stir up the symptoms. I was so tired and started sleeping through swimming time. Now my body has atrophied to the point that it takes all my energy to keep from sinking.

When I get home I am so tired it takes 3 days to recover.

But promise I won't stop.

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
        Pool watcher,

I plan to go swimming very soon. For years before my dx I was a regular at the pool every night. That was 1977 to 2010. Then after the first big flair I tried to get back to my old routine and found I didn't feel well. When I swam it would stir up the symptoms. I was so tired and started sleeping through swimming time. Now my body has atrophied to the point that it takes all my energy to keep from sinking.

When I get home I am so tired it takes 3 days to recover.

But promise I won't stop.
        Build up slowly. Start with one lap and swim it daily for a few days then two for a few days then three etc. At some point, you will reach the tipping point and be able to quickly add laps. Don't give up and no excuses except fever and lightning. You're so out of shape now that of course you will tire quickly. That's to be expected! Remember, you cannot control your illness, but you can control your wellness. Drink plenty of water too and eat real food, not processed food. Real vegetable, real fruit, real dairy, real meat.

Post herE every day about your progress. You can do this! In 2004 I couldn't walk across the room without getting exhausted. Within 3 months I was swimming a mile! Go for it!

Comment

Does channel surfing count? (sorry if that's already been used)

I used to live in the water, loved to swim.....haven't gone in years, as that would mean buying a bathing suit.

Surfing, just sitting on a board on the ocean, taking in the smell of the seawater, sounds of the waves (maybe not dangling the feet too long)....I wish the ocean was closer to NM.
          Rule of Feline Frustration: When your cat has fallen asleep on your lap and looks utterly content and adorable, you will suddenly have to go to the bathroom.

Comment

Originally posted by swpanther1 View Post
            Does channel surfing count? (sorry if that's already been used)

I used to live in the water, loved to swim.....haven't gone in years, as that would mean buying a bathing suit.

Surfing, just sitting on a board on the ocean, taking in the smell of the seawater, sounds of the waves (maybe not dangling the feet too long)....I wish the ocean was closer to NM.
            Definitely worth buying a bathing suit to get into a pool!

Comment

Working...
            X