Does anyone here with MS go surfing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone here with MS go surfing?

I would love to hear how your surfing is affected and how you adapt. I longboard and it's very challenging to stand on bumpy waves, shift weight, keep knees bent. Most waves I ride on my stomach. You?

Funny

I had to answer just because of my profile pic That was 5 years ago, at one of the coldest beaches in Nova Scotia. Lawrencetown brrrr..... Nowadays the cold water would make my legs freeze up completely. The ocean is just not possible for me right now. I swim like a fish in the local pool though, so all is not lost

I hope you keep surfing and enjoying it!

Comment

I surf the internet! Does that count?
      Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by PositiveMS View Post
        I had to answer just because of my profile pic That was 5 years ago, at one of the coldest beaches in Nova Scotia. Lawrencetown brrrr..... Nowadays the cold water would make my legs freeze up completely. The ocean is just not possible for me right now. I swim like a fish in the local pool though, so all is not lost

I hope you keep surfing and enjoying it!
        I was hoping you'd see this thread. If you were in a warm ocean (82 in Floridas waves this week) would you still be surfing?

If the wave has any bump at all, my knees lock up. And if it accelerates suddenly, I am left behind. This Saturday I am going to see what happens with a wider stance. Being a surfers, do you have any good tips? I can walk, run, cramp easily, legs feel like they have weights on them. My pop up is more like a scramble up.

Comment

Poolwatcher-

I surf walls. But prior to MS I was an athlete. Long Distance Runner. When I got my diagnosis, I pumped up the volume.

I was military and diagnosed the same year Montel Williams, who was also military. Did not know it then, but him and I have the same philosophy when it comes to RRMS. Use it or lose it. Please understand, this is only with RRMS.

Keep your muscles strong and remain physically active. Even if you have to Boogie Board...it is keeping you strong. I use to Run, Snow Ski, Bicycle, and Hike. I have had to downgrade but I walk everyday for at least 30 minutes and if I need my walking stick or rollater to do it...so be it.

If you want to try and continue Surfing, a round of PT for balance would probably help alot. Your neuro could order this for you.

BTW...I have tried water surfing. Its hard...even when you don't have MS.
          Katie
          "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
          "My MS is a Journey for One."
          Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
            I surf the internet! Does that count?
            Good one. And, the surfing walls post too. I don't surf walls, but, I don't even have the balance to ride a bicycle, let alone surf. And there aren't many oceans close to Kansas.
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hey Poolwatcher,
              YES! If the water was warmer, 'I'd be out trying to surf Tips? I think Katieagain said it all. Strength exercises and physical activity are your best friends. I do lots of yoga as well, which is fantastic for balance. I've started doing some Tai Chi for the same reason. Together I feel so much stronger, despite the MS.

So one silly question Are there any sharks out there? That's something we don't need to worry about here in Nova Scotia.

Comment

Originally posted by PositiveMS View Post
                Hey Poolwatcher,
                YES! If the water was warmer, 'I'd be out trying to surf Tips? I think Katieagain said it all. Strength exercises and physical activity are your best friends. I do lots of yoga as well, which is fantastic for balance. I've started doing some Tai Chi for the same reason. Together I feel so much stronger, despite the MS.

So one silly question Are there any sharks out there? That's something we don't need to worry about here in Nova Scotia.
                I use an Indo board for balance. My balance is better than most 64 yr olds, but as soon as the wave gets real bumpy, I feel it. I am in excellent shape. The problem is with bumpier waves, my knees lock up easily. I have to bend them more and consciously keep saying, bend your knees , bend your knees. ... Also, while I can walk and stand for hours, when on a wave, the muscles tire immediately and feel like they want to cramp. Am thinking it might have to do with the shin muscles absorbing so much energy.With many waves I have to surf on my stomach . But with smoother glassier waves, I can stand. I used to stand on all waves, until my last attack in June 2014.

Re sharks; yes, they're there all the time. Typically nurse sharks, sand sharks, spinner sharks. Sometimes bull sharks and tiger sharks. We ignore them. It's the board and wave that are dangerous, not the sharks. One nipped my knee two years ago, and left a tear in my wetsuit.

Save up and come surf Florida east central coast!
                Tell me about your surfing.

Comment

I tried surfing when I was 18. That was 44 years ago. I could never stand up. No balance. So I gave it up. I wasn't diagnosed until I was 57 years old. This makes me wonder if those of us who were diagnosed later in life have been living with it our whole lives.

My son goes surfing every weekend. But I wouldn't even consider it. I can't balance on a hall in the hospital. On a surfboard, forget it.

Comment

Ask him to push you into a knee highwave on a soft top longboard, 9 ft, like surfing on a door. Or use a boogie board as no balance required.

It's funny how much better my balance became through swimming and surfing. Most balance issues can be from MS. This makes us more likely to avoid activities needing balance which then worsens the balance. Nice thing about water based things is you can't hurt yourself if you fall!

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
                      I tried surfing when I was 18. That was 44 years ago. I could never stand up. No balance. So I gave it up. I wasn't diagnosed until I was 57 years old. This makes me wonder if those of us who were diagnosed later in life have been living with it our whole lives.

My son goes surfing every weekend. But I wouldn't even consider it. I can't balance on a hall in the hospital. On a surfboard, forget it.
                      Also, where does your son typically surf?

Comment

My son lives in Redondo Beach, California. Where do you surf?

I've never tried it on a boogie board. The surfboards we used in the 60s were very heavy and very long. If I couldn't catch the wave, I would have to run to the shore and carry it back out. I don't know what the trick is. When I first started it was in Oxnard. I was about 12 at the time. We stayed at the beach a week and it think I only caught 3 waves and never stood up.

Comment

I surf on the east coast of central Florida. Tomorrow the water will be 80 degrees. I bet you would love boogie boarding the whitewater. Ask your son to supervise you. And if you love it, have him push you on a longboard into whitewater on your stomach, like a giant boogie board ride! (assuming you live in California)

Redondo Beach is very beautiful.

Comment

Well,

Swimming in the ocean California is not quite as delicious as the east coast. The water is very cold and often polluted. My son has to use a wetsuit when he goes surfing.

The last time I have been swimming in the ocean was on my trip to Puerto Rico in 2000.
                            It was wonderful. I even went out when a hurricane as starting. It was so dramatic.

I'm living in Montana now but moving back to California in November. Maybe then we can go. I haven't swum in the ocean in a very long time. I was an avid pool swimmer until my dx. Then the fatigue grabbed me so I reduced it to once a month. But now that I've moved to a northern state, there are no outdoor pools. Lately, I've been starting to have swimming dreams every night. I try to swim and my arms are trapped under the covers. I know that is a sign I need to look for a pool up here that I like.

Thanks for helping me remember the enjoyable things in life.

Comment

Of course! Get back into the pool as soon as possible! It will control your wellness and the body core doesn't heat up. Some day I think we may no longer be able to swim, or at least that's a possibility. Gotta do as much as can while we can. Swimming can combat fatigue. It provides endorphins and dopamine.

Check out the book Blue Mind.

P.S. The wider stance worked very well today, with deep knee bends, was able to take 80% of the waves standing.

Comment

Working...
                              X