Need advice for lifts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice for lifts

I'm not even sure how to word this so I hope it comes across okay. I spend all day in a wheelchair. The only way to get from my chair to the toilet and back is with a bear-hug from my husband basically lifting me into a standing position, turning 90 degrees (it's a TINY bathroom), and lowering me into a sitting position again. When he goes to work, however, I have to hold it until he gets back home (Can there be a little more pressure on him?). I looked into slings, but they all have leg straps keeping me in a seated position, none seem to be able to handle the 90 degree angle from the chair to the toilet, and no matter how many times they say they allow for clothing removal I don't see it. I've seen posters mention ceiling lifts, but all the slings still have leg straps. The 'stand assist' lifts are too big and I can't take a single step with my left foot at all so I'm still stuck.

Is there something out there that would strap to my torso only and what might it be called? I really want to be able to do this for myself again.
    I want my invisible disease to become invisible again.

the only thing I can think of is one of those lifts that get from point a to point B on a track mounted on the ceiling. I do not have any names for you though. I don't know if that will help you are not.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I was reading up on ceiling lifts. I'm not sure our ceiling could handle it, but did find a "portable" one that is basically a frame with a straight track in it. Since a sling in it can pivot, it takes care of the 90 degree turn. I still haven't found a torso-only sling.

Comment

would it not be possible, not to mention easier and cheaper, to get a carer in for one hour a day? I am sorry you're having these difficlties, I wish I had something better to suggest - but even with a ceiling host or lift, wouldn't you need help getting onto it?
        Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ... Dr. Seuss

Comment

Thankfully, I can still basically do that. My muscles aren't strong enough to hold my weight. I can stand from my chair, but then can't step to the commode. Once there, I can't get up again to get back in my chair. A track system would help with a shower, too. I wish I had more faith in the construction of this house. Right now hubby has to pick me up and carry me to the tub. That's my next big mental project to concentrate on.

Comment

The portable lift is a minimum of 7 feet. The space is less than 5 feet.

Comment

Hi Calamity Grace:
              Do you have enough arm and core body strength to pull yourself up from, and let yourself down into, a seated position? Would you be able to roll right up to the commode, use wall-mounted grab bars or a ceiling-mounted grab to pull yourself into a standing position, pivot the 90 degrees on your good leg and sit down again? One way onto the commode and the other way back into your chair?

Can you get a referral from your neurologist or GP for occupational therapy? An OT might be able to find the best grab bar system and assistive devices for the toilet, and help you with technique, to help you get the job done without a lift system -- if you have the arm and core body strength to do it.

Comment

jreagan,I wish. My whole left side has no muscle control. I'm a lefty learning to write with my right hand so I can jot things down again. My right arm is stronger than my left so there may be a way to make a grab bar system work. The commode is to the right of my chair which means I wouldn't have to reach across my body with grab bars.

Comment

Grace, how about this? Will a powered toilet lift seat fit into your bathroom? A couple of companies make powered toilet lifts for home use that fit right around the commode.

If you can stand up under your own power, deal with your clothing and make the 90 degree pivot on your good leg to move into the lift, it will power lower you to the toilet. When you're finished, it will power raise you -- not fully back to a standing position, but high enough that you won't have to hoist yourself up the whole way.

LiftSeat makes one (liftseat4home dot com) and Tush Push makes 2 different models for home use. You can google "LiftSeat powered toilet lift for home use" or "Tush Push."

They won't help you in the shower and they aren't cheap, but you might be able to apply for a grant through one of the MS organizations.

If it doesn't look like a powered toilet lift will work... never mind.

Comment

jreagan, I've never heard of these before. They are fantastic! Sure the cost is more than pocket-change, but they're still cheaper than the sling lifts I was looking at. All of the things for commodes had raised toilet seats. I've used a raised toilet seat once. Darn near fell face first off the thing. These look so much lower!

Thank you so much! This might be just the ticket.

Comment

You're welcome, Grace. I hope you find something that works for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Calamity Grace View Post
                        jreagan, I've never heard of these before. They are fantastic! Sure the cost is more than pocket-change, but they're still cheaper than the sling lifts I was looking at. All of the things for commodes had raised toilet seats. I've used a raised toilet seat once. Darn near fell face first off the thing. These look so much lower!

Thank you so much! This might be just the ticket.
                        I have one of these, new in the box, that I bought for my wife but never used because… well, I don't remember why .

**edited by moderator in compliance with guideline #7. It reads " SELLING ITEMS AND SOLICITING MEMBERS:**Offering items for sale, trade, or free are not allowed. Monetary donation solicitations of members by way of e-mail, message board posts or in Chat are also not allowed.**
                        Last edited by Kimba22; 06-02-2015, 10:32 AM. Reason: Guideline #7

Comment

Originally posted by sjc314 View Post
                          I have one of these, new in the box, that I bought for my wife but never used because… well, I don't remember why .
                          Looks like they don't allow you to edit your own post. Here's a link that describes what I have: AirLift Toileting System

Comment

Originally posted by Calamity Grace View Post
                            The only way to get from my chair to the toilet and back is with a bear-hug from my husband basically lifting me into a standing position, turning 90 degrees (it's a TINY bathroom), and lowering me into a sitting position again.
                            Right now hubby has to pick me up and carry me to the tub.
                            I would strongly advise against this. I used to lift my wife like this and was very careful to lift properly, bend my knees, etc. One time I felt a severe electric shock run down my left leg and I collapsed from the pain. I hobbled around for weeks afterward, it took a year before I could function normally, and to this day I have relapses. You think you are a big strong man but you don't realize that your back muscles are not that strong (they only have to hold you erect) and all it takes is a small movement in the wrong direction to rupture a disc. It's just not worth the risk. Get a Hoyer lift. It's not as quick or convenient but it beats having your husband out of commission for a year or more.

Comment

Originally posted by sjc314 View Post
                              Here's a link that describes what I have: AirLift Toileting System
                              This link did not work on my mobile device. Here's an alternate link describing the product http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Mobili...de.-a088999858

Best of luck finding something that works, Calamity Grace. Please keep us updated, OK?
                              Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Working...
                              X