Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

going on STD Offered by employer

Hi
    I have participated in STD and LTD insurance provided by my employer. Based on STD policy employee should notify the provider at least 30 days ahead of time.
    My neurologist has been recommending me to stop working since four years ago.
    Now I think it's becoming very hard to manage working and have decided to go on STD.
    Does anyone know if going on disability due to multiple sclerosis also shall be reported ahead of time or just file for STD and stop working

your help would be appreciated

I'm currently on STD - my employer didn't state a timeframe but provided the process for applying. I worked right up to my approval even though I was "fading" at the time as I was in a flare-up. My Manager was previously aware of my MS and that I was going to apply.

It took about 7 working days to get the application together and my doctor to complete his part and submit, then my employer approved in 1 day.

Comment

A lot of time, the 30 days is for scheduled absences, like surgery and rehab. With MS, you can't predict when you need disability. I would check with you HR rep. I just filed for STD after being out 6 days, which was when STD kicked in. I did let my boss know I would be filing. My STD was approved same day the doctor filled out my medical form for them.

Usually, with STD, you just need your doctors support. LTD and SSDI require more than that and usually have stricter definition of disability. I would make sure to get a copy of your company's LTD policy and read it. Make sure you understand the elibility and exclusion rules. Insurance companies have lots of "outs" in employer policies. O don't mean to scare you, but just be informed. Good luck.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I have been out of work since April 7th.

I applied for STD through my company's disability program (private) and was denied, even though my neurologist stated "I don't see a way he can remain employed in any capacity."

That was written in a medical report summary and extracted by the insurance claims administrator as being too subjective. I was an internet help desk technician, multi-tasking with customer problems on two displays, multiple "windows", wearing a headset and microphone, dealing with the best and worst of humanity.

I had been missing a lot of work and was planning to apply for SSDI. I was also planning on using STD and LTD as a bridge to keep some money coming in AND maintain medical benefits. When my case was denied this week I almost cried! I had short term money available, but we are now looking at about two months with no paycheck.

I am a few days shy of 62 and have been working since the minimum wage was $1.45 / hour!

My problem is anxiety, stress, fatigue, cognitive impairment, and blurred vision, but this is all invisible to a third party, over the phone or through e-mail.

I am appealing the decision. I was diagnosed with r/r MS21 years ago and have been pushing back the "wall" of MS for years.

Long story short: make a strong case when you apply, using the Residual Functional Capacity Form you can download from the NMSS home page.

Wherever possible, provide specific medical evidence for WHY you cannot work.

God Bless!

memphis slim

Comment

sick time

Some employers will use sick pay until the time frame, such as the 30 days, until STD kicks in.
          God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Working...
          X