Do you spend money? Do you feel guilty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you spend money? Do you feel guilty?

So far, my income hasn't really been affected by the MS. I made 2K less tutoring the year I got diagnosed and there were lots of health-related costs, but everything's manageable. What I know is that I worked really, really hard and lived a Spartan lifestyle until everything was paid off, CCs, student loans, car, etc., and wound up able to save 35-40% of my income. I treat my tutoring income as pin money.

I'm still spending the same (benefits dinners, fertility treatments, eating out a lot) but I feel guilty because should I save that money in case I need a wheelchair or can't work? That may never happen, but it may. But then, I say to myself I should enjoy it now in case there's a time when I can't. And hey, if I'm going to kick off ten years early, I don't have to worry about outliving my retirement savings. I was reminded that I wanted to visit Australia before I die reading my journal. Is that profligate to go to AU if you may have to live on $1,450 someday (disability/disabled pension)? Would I even enjoy it if sometimes I get cranky and long for a nap just washing my hair and doing laundry?

I say you should go to Australia while you are doing well. As far as the wheelchair goes, most insurance companies will pay for 1 wheelchair. I am usually a save all my money in case I need it for care kind of person, but now that I am in a wheelchair and can't move my legs, I wish I had done many things before when I could walk. Even before I had my walker I wish I had done things before.

Now with that said, you can still go places in a wheelchair or with a walker. The way I look at it is, it is your money. You worked hard to save it. You will be getting disability checks (mine are only 1,350) and yes you can live on that.

You have to decide if you can give up the lifestyle you have been living, and let the trip be one last fling, or save the money and spread it out along with your checks each month to get more income.

I am a conservative person with my money, but I say go on the trip. You don't have to spend all of your savings on the trip.

Take care
    Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

I think you should go on the trip. This miserable disease doesn't let up. So, while you can do it , do the trip ! Good luck

Comment

Yes I spend money, No I don't feel bad. Do it now while you can and enjoy the heck out of it.

Enjoy your life. I went to Italy last Fall...really glad I went.
        Katie
        "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
        "My MS is a Journey for One."
        Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I say go for it while it is a little easier to travel.

None of us know our future, healthy or not. There is a balance between depriving ourselvrs of things we steam about and may enjoy and total self-indulgence of never saying no to ourselves.

We try to set realistic savings targets, allowing ourselves "fun" money. Our goal is to take a bigger trip every 3-4 years. 2011 was Italy, 2014 Ireland.

Like yourself, I worried if I would enjoy Ireland since I was so much more fatigued than when we went to Italy. I enjoyed myself, napped in the car when travelling, sometimes sat in scenic spot when others explored or shopped, and missed out on some of the famous pub life and music. But I still had an amazing trip.

If you go, make sure you priorize what you really want to see and experience. Spend your energy on that, and everything else is a bonus! Make sure you plan rest time from flight, both to and from. I know it is a long flight. much longer than Italy or Ireland.

I hope you go and we see some stories!
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I haven't been able to work since 1988. I've been scrounging from SSDI and help from family. My last inheritance is going to be gone in 6 months just for living expenses.

It may seem like "enjoy it while I can" is something you might as well do, when it's gone it's gone. Having a nice lifestyle, dinners and clothes may seem necessary to have a happy social life, they are only props to fit in.

My humble opinion is travel, go to Australia, Europe or where ever your dreams take you. And when you are spending money, ask yourself, "am I doing this to impress others? Or is this necessary?"

You in in such a lucky position. You might be able to avoid being in a nursing home on Medicaid. I would visit one of those places, then decide.

Comment

It sounds like you have lived a financially sensible life so my guess is you won't be likely to go completely over the top now and start wasting money, although I'm totally confused about the fertility treatment thing.

I'm about 10 years away from retirement and have a fair amount of money put away so now is the time when I'm starting to increase my travel a bit and upgrade my home in an effort to enjoy the fruits of my labor before it is too late.

At this point I am planning on living to 70, if I die sooner that would be fine and if I live longer, although everyone knows someone's granny who is still doing water aerobics in her 90s I know I won't be that person so whatever happens to me is fine.

My husband and I might have to divorce and that would be sad but we are willing to do it for financial solvency if I hit the crapper. One advantage I might have is I could care less what kind of nursing home I go to. The plan is to go to whatever cheap dump that will hopefully result in a quicker death secondary to neglect so I am absolutely not planning on allocating money for that expense.
              He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
              Anonymous

Comment

Working...
              X