Researchers solve multiple sclerosis puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Researchers solve multiple sclerosis puzzle

Evidence has long suggested multiple sclerosis (MS) is an autoimmune disease, but researchers have been puzzled because they found the same T cells that attack the myelin sheathing around nerve cells in MS patients are present in healthy subjects as well.

Now researchers from the Yale School of Medicine and colleagues at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) report that auto-reactive T cells in MS patients produce different types of inflammatory hormones called cytokines than they do in healthy subjects.
    "In most people, these T cells are acting to repair tissue, but in MS patients, they do damage to the nervous system," said Dr. David Hafler, the William S. and Lois Stiles Edgerly Professor of Neurology and senior author of the study, published May 14 in the journal Science Translational Medicine.
    The Yale-led team analyzed T cell populations from 23 MS patients and 22 healthy controls. Existing drugs target the MS-specific cytokines identified in the study and should be a promising new treatment for the disease, the authors say.

FUNCTIONAL INFLAMMATORY PROFILES DISTINGUISH MYELIN-REACTIVE T CELLS FROM PATIENTS WITH MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS

Myelin-reactive T cells have been identified in patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) and healthy subjects with comparable frequencies, but the contribution of these autoreactive T cells to disease pathology remains unknown.

A total of 13,324 T cell libraries generated from blood of 23 patients and 22 healthy controls were interrogated for reactivity to myelin antigens. Libraries derived from CCR6+ myelin-reactive T cells from patients with MS exhibited significantly enhanced production of interferon-γ (IFN-γ), interleukin-17 (IL-17), and granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor (GM-CSF) compared to healthy controls. Single-cell clones isolated by major histocompatibility complex/peptide tetramers from CCR6+ T cell libraries also secreted more proinflammatory cytokines, whereas clones isolated from controls secreted more IL-10. The transcriptomes of myelin-specific CCR6+ T cells from patients with MS were distinct from those derived from healthy controls and, notably, were enriched in T helper cell 17 (TH17)–induced experimental autoimmune encephalitis gene signatures, and gene signatures derived from TH17 cells isolated other human autoimmune diseases. These data, although not causal, imply that functional differences between antigen-specific T cells from MS and healthy controls are fundamental to disease development and support the notion that IL-10 production from myelin-reactive T cells may act to limit disease progression or even pathogenesis.

Sci Transl Med 13 May 2015:
    Vol. 7
    no. 287 pp. 287ra74DOI:10.1126/scitranslmed.aaa8038

interesting

This is an interesting change in thought.
    God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

I am happy that they are looking into all aspects of MS. The more studies they do the closer we get to better medication.

Thank you Marco
      Lisa
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

Thanks for the article, Marco. I assume that this is good news for us, MSer's. I can read the words, but I really don't know enough to see where this analysis progresses from this point.

Comment

The articles don't say that anything has been "solved." But it's nice to know that another piece of the puzzle has been found.

Comment

All genetic or genetic with environmental trigger?

Thanks Marco.

Anytime they get a step closer, I have cautious optimism. While the say research shows no causal association yet, who know what the next round of studies will show as they dig deeper.

Since identical twins have identical genes, and one may get MS while the other doesn't, does this article support potential environmental trigger that causes T-cells to react differently in MS regarding IL-10? Or does this mean the genes are still identical, including the IL-10, so for some with MS, there are other triggers?

You have to forgive me, as my knowledge is limited when it comes to understanding these types of articles. I try and try, but it always bypasses me. The physical and theoretical sciences were never a strength for me. I guess I don't understand if IL-10 is a genetic marker in itself or a byproduct of the T-cell genetic marker.

Any help?

Thanks for posting.
            Kathy
            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
            X