Do you run the vacuum cleaner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you run the vacuum cleaner?

I'm getting so frustrated! The smallest chores I try to do get me down. I ran the vacuum today and was immediately worn out and shaking. What is with this shaking all over?? Especially my hands.

I can understand the fatigue.. but then I just feel awful, sick, weird for awhile after I do anything. I used to love to cook and bake. Now it just wipes me out.

Can anyone tell me anything about this?
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Marti, not sure I can answer your question, but what I can tell you is I have two <2> types of fatigue.

One type of fatigue is the generalized fatigue that seems to be present 24/7 most days, which is unaffected by physical activity or lack of physical activity, nothing to explain how it's induced or explanation to relieve the general fatigue I experience.

The other type of fatigue is muscle fatigue, which seems to be induced and relieved by the level of physical activity/exertion. My level of physical activity seems to induce a fine motor tremor more than the general type of fatigue.

But I often have a fine motor tremor with or without physical activity too.

My experiences with 2 types of fatigue/tremor must be clear as mud as far as providing you with a clear answer to your tremor/fatigue question.

Hope this helps, but if not maybe someone else with have better info for you.

Comment

Well...

Gave up on this task years ago. SPMS & every time I try to vacuum even the smallest area, I end up on the floor with the vacuum on top of me. Has always been this way since I can't remember when. doesn't matter if seeems to be very good day for me, my relationship with the vacuum is over!

Comment

I get this type of muscle fatigue after cleaning around the house. I can't vacuum because I am in a manual wheelchair and am not that good at it yet.

My newest fatigue onset is reading. I can only read for a maximum of 15-20 min. Then I have to take a nap-immediately.

Talk about this to your neurologist as they may be able to help you with some pharmacuticals.

I am sorry you are experiencing this, it is one of the most disabling parts of MS.

Lisa
        Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
        SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
        Tysabri

Comment

Forgot to mention that in my case the shakiness is a result of muscle weakness = muscle fatigue. At least that's how it presents during physical activity, such as walking, vacuuming, sometimes heat induced while cooking. Until MS I would not have considered cooking a physical activity/exertion, but since MS, it is.

When I vacuum, instead of doing the open floor plan that includes living room, dinning room and office area, I break it down into smaller sections, doing as much of the living room as I can one day, a bit more when I recover, which can take anywhere from a few days, to a week to complete the job.

Comment

Originally posted by MSW1963 View Post
            Forgot to mention that in my case the shakiness is a result of muscle weakness = muscle fatigue. At least that's how it presents during physical activity, such as walking, vacuuming, sometimes heat induced while cooking. Until MS I would not have considered cooking a physical activity/exertion, but since MS, it is.

When I vacuum, instead of doing the open floor plan that includes living room, dinning room and office area, I break it down into smaller sections, doing as much of the living room as I can one day, a bit more when I recover, which can take anywhere from a few days, to a week to complete the job.

I like your idea of breaking down the cleaning day by day. I hate the shaking stuff. It doesn't take much to start things off either. I was just told that I have advanced to SPMS and everything seems to bother me more now. Thanks.
            Marti

Comment

Nah, not me. The cleaning woman does, when she turns up (bless, she's got a slightly sore knee).
              She actually wrote a note saying she'd given the house a "gentle clean", which is clearly code for "I didn't actually clean anything".

Comment

I have some hardwood floors (with 2 dogs!!!) and my parents got me the Shark Lift Around. It is very light and little and I don't have to lift it up because it is light enough to drag. It is very small and is good for my bathrooms. As for the rugs I make my husband do it
                dx 2002 rebif 2002-2013 Tecfidera 2013

Comment

housework

Thank goodness for my hubbie. He does a lot. The kitchen floor is white and every since we put it in he has made it his job to clean.

I need a walker so vacuuming is hard. We have wood floors and one small rug. I have a dust mop I use but can't shake it out

I also do things over a period of time. Not fun but no other choice.

Got to think positive

Toot
                  toot

DX 1986 currently on TY
                  Copaxone 2003 to February 2015

Comment

I just realized it's not just the vacuum. I washed the bathroom mirrors today and got the shakes again. It doesn't help to be so short... can't reach anything easily. Lots of stretching and arm wrestling!

Guess I have to face this new phase in my life. I'm walking... doing pretty good. It amazes me when I hear about people who are "really" disabled and all they can do to help themselves. I miss my independence. I see a little more of it slipping away all the time.
                    Marti

Comment

I have limited balance. I run the vacuum until I fall down then I give up.

Comment

Have not vacuumed for about 8 months!

I thank God for a wonderful family, otherwise my house would be a complete wreck! Normally, I cannot do anything that requires me being on my feet more than a few minutes at a time. Someone else does the floors, cooking, laundry, etc. I sit and fold clothes, until my hands get shaky, prepare what food I can while sitting down, until my hands get shaky and feel like an absolute slug because I cannot do more, before and after my hands get shaky!

Comment

Working...
                        X