No announcement yet.

You Know What is Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's probably important to take time to decide which way to go. A service dog sounds like a wonderful option. Imagine all that love and mutual benefit.

I have two kitties that I adore. They are amazing, and quite loving and interactive for cats. I still have kiddos at home, so don't have time for long walks with pups. my cats don't mind my crazy schedule.

How old would a service dog typically be?

Comment

Originally posted by Tia1 View Post
      It's probably important to take time to decide which way to go. A service dog sounds like a wonderful option. Imagine all that love and mutual benefit.

I have two kitties that I adore. They are amazing, and quite loving and interactive for cats. I still have kiddos at home, so don't have time for long walks with pups. my cats don't mind my crazy schedule.

How old would a service dog typically be?
      Trained Service Dogs are exceptional. But, the dogs are large and walks are imperative.

Service Dogs are typically around 12 months when they come to the owner. At least that is how the VA and the organization I have been assigned to do it. Then the owner and dog usually go through training together at home, both as a working dog and companion. If I was to get a Service Dog, they would match me with a Large, emphasise on Large....Standard Poodle.

But I really have to think everything through and I have some time. My rule has always been that if I can not pick an animal up...I can't have him. I still can't get the thought around my head as to how I would handle a Service Dog who is going to weigh 65+ pounds.

I truly can't pick up more than about 10 pounds.

I will also say that many Service Dogs are getting bad raps because of unscrupulous owners who "buy" vests off the internet. I personally believe that Federal Laws should be stricter concerning Service Dogs. In the long run, that protects all of us that really need Service Dogs.
      Katie
      "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
      "My MS is a Journey for One."
      Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
      X