Visual Field Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visual Field Testing

Has anyone had a Field Test as a routine eye exam? I've had one years ago with no problems. But had one today and they showed 2 blind spots in one eye and it looked like one in the other. But the doctor was not worried. He just said they are common in MS patients.

I'm not borrowing trouble, just want to hear from others who have had this. I've never had any eye problems with my MS. Just some pain once in awhile. Other than this everything was ok. Just the very beginning, very small start of cataracts. Again.. nothing to get bent out of shape over.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Blind Spots

I just had OCT for the first time, which included a visual field test. Not only do people with MS have blind spots, but everyone does (according to my doctor). According to him, it's related to how the optic nerve attaches to the retina. I also had a blind spot which he said was normal due to how the equipment is set up.

Comment

Originally posted by mack1z View Post
      I just had OCT for the first time, which included a visual field test. Not only do people with MS have blind spots, but everyone does (according to my doctor). According to him, it's related to how the optic nerve attaches to the retina. I also had a blind spot which he said was normal due to how the equipment is set up.

Yes, this doctor also told me everyone has these blind spots. I'm just wondering how they relate to MS. Does there come a point when they are more serious?
      Marti

Comment

I've had visual field testing done a couple of times and never been told that everyone has blind spots, only that people who have had optic neuritis have them. You may have had subclinical episodes of ON Marti.

Comment

I've also had visual field tests a couple of times. The reason I was given is that the optometrist is watching me closely because there are signs of early glaucoma. She was also hoping that the testing would help her to determine if what is going on is, or, is not, related to my MS. Results are somewhat inconclusive; she plans to continue to watch, and redo field testing in a year or two.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
            I've also had visual field tests a couple of times. The reason I was given is that the optometrist is watching me closely because there are signs of early glaucoma. She was also hoping that the testing would help her to determine if what is going on is, or, is not, related to my MS. Results are somewhat inconclusive; she plans to continue to watch, and redo field testing in a year or two.
            Yes, this test was a baseline for future exams. New eye doctor.
            Marti

Comment

eye vision problems

I recently had an OCT scan. My eye doctor says that I have early signs of glaucoma so he's watching me. I need to have a repeat test in 6 months. If it's the same then the first will become my baseline and he'll compare that to future annual tests. If it's not the same then he'll do whatever he has to to get me early treatment or just watch. I've never had ON but he thinks I have be the test is suggestive of it. (thinning) He does think it's MS related because he said I was too young to be getting signs of glaucoma that would be age related.

Comment

Originally posted by Tess516 View Post
                I recently had an OCT scan. My eye doctor says that I have early signs of glaucoma so he's watching me. He does think it's MS related because he said I was too young to be getting signs of glaucoma that would be age related.
                Have you ever used steroids? Steroids can cause Glaucoma and would be the most likely cause.
                Diagnosed 1984
                “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Working...
                X