No announcement yet.

watching people walk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would so love to be able to walk on a beach again, but I guess I should consider myself lucky that I'm still able to walk with a walker.

Comment

Yes watching walking is interesting sometimes right?

Originally posted by gwynnf View Post
      I have what I've started to refer to as my "quarterly meltdown". It lasts a few days and I do my self-inflicted pity party. I often watch people walk and sometimes I even get mad. If people could read my mind sometimes, I'd be in trouble. I was dx in 1995 and until 3 years ago I was walking and working fulltime...2 jobs! A stressful divorce did me in. I use a wheelchair, walker, scooter or the wall. It all depends on how far I need to go. I've often wondered what running or even jumping up and down would feel like again. I raised 2 young boys who are now grown. I felt so lucky to be able to be somewhat mobile for them. I never missed a football, baseball or basketball game ever and they knew how much strength getting to those fields cost me. I don't regret any of it. My now ex-husband couldn't deal with my disease any longer and traded down as far as I'm concerned.

I am lucky to have found love again with a wonderful man who I really think would give me his legs if he could. My favorite was the time at a party everyone was dancing. He told me to wrap my arms around his neck and off I went twirling around the dance floor. I tear up even now thinking about that night.

I am now in the process of getting a Walkaid to help with drop foot and hopefully I will get some mobility back.

Never give up....I know that is SO hard to do. There is always hope.
      I agree even fascinating sometimes. I moved in with my sister in 2009 to help with babysitting only one child a boy. Just starting my divorce then. I've been here ever since and now the boys turning 10yrs. June this year! Talk about walking wow! Kids are fast you know. There's something to watch.

Comment

Interesting thread

I haven't been on this site for many months. I've been doing well because of botox injections and my acceptance to the Access-a-Bus in my town. I have been using a cane since right before I turned 33. I am now 35. My cane arm is quite strong now.

This thread is interesting. I look at people walking sometimes, usually when I am someplace out of routine, like at the mall. People walk and don't even think about it. Why should they? I never used to either. I walked and ran normally for my first 30 years, and it never gave me any special pleasure. It was mundane. Until I lost my full ability. Then I started looking at normal walking people and wondering how they could look unhappy or angry etc... All I could think was, "Hey! Smile! You can walk."

I ride the bus with a blind man, and the other day he asked me to describe the ocean and its vastness. He said nobody had ever been able to describe to him what it looks like to see something that has no end. I didn't manage to either. He has been blind since birth, so he has no notion of these things and even what a color is. It got me thinking that I am so lucky to have eyesight. It's another thing I take for granted, like I used to feel about walking.

Anyways, somebody on this thread said "There is hope". Yes, there certainly is! I read MS news daily and it seems to be a race or finding the cure. There is so much hope.

Comment

Had a dream last night I was running........don't know why or anything about the dream.......just that I was running.....fast! In the car this morning I passed several walkers and joggers........I wish. It is going to be warm and humid today my legs will react ....doesn't matter if I am in the a/c...they just know and turn to lead.
          dx 2002 rebif 2002-2013 Tecfidera 2013

Comment

don't give up!

Originally posted by howies mom View Post
            I would so love to be able to walk on a beach again, but I guess I should consider myself lucky that I'm still able to walk with a walker.
            if you live by a beach, you may want to check for rollators with large wheels.
            i know they make wc w/ beach capable wheels (large inflated ones) i researched them before visiting kids on oceansides.
            those were expensive, but i bet if they make wc, why not rollators (walker on wheels) with those tires?
            i live in the midwest, never on the coast, but my parents did for 18 yrs, now my DD does. i love the beach. i have more seashells and jars of sand than some beaches probably!!!
            if i lived near one, i'd do whatever it took to get out on it.

don't give up your dream! sometimes we MSrs just have to be creative to do things we enjoy.

i'd be glad to look it up for you but it's late & we're headed out on trip in morning.
            if you can't find anything, reply back here and i'll do some digging for ya when i get back.

hang in there! God bless ya!

ps there's a beautiful book by an MS caretaker (DH has MS) called "My Beautiful Broken Shell" by Carol Hamblett Adam. it's wonderful for anyone depressed by MS and who loves the beach.
            beautiful words and painting/ drawings
            "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

I thought I was the only one watching people walk!

Ok, so I admit it, I frequently find myself fixated watching people walk so effortlessly. I'll say to myself "they don't even realize all of the mechanical skill it takes to dorsiflex their foot, lift their hip flexor and flex their quad/hamstring. They are a walking miracle and they aren't even aware of it!". Boy, do I admire the human body at work these days. I can only walk maybe 10 steps with a walker, maybe 30 on a good day, and am totally dependent on a scooter and a ramp van for my freedom. I miss the days when I only needed a cane and/or a walkaide, but I'm darn happy they invented the scooter.

About 7 years ago I was at an MS walk in my area and saw a young stylish woman, maybe 30 years old driving a scooter. She became my inspiration at that moment; just because she couldn't walk didn't make her any less valuable or attractive and she radiated happiness. I vowed that if it ever came to that for me, I would adopt the same attitude and I have. I'm almost 30 years older than that young woman but I think about her courage often.

I work with what I have that does work; hair, nails, cute clothes and I exercise 3 times a week at a place called Project Walk, where they train mostly people with spinal cord injuries. Attitude can overcome almost all adversity and I often feel sorry for people who take their legs for granted because at this rate, I'm just grateful that mine are still attached to my body, even if they barely work!

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Comment

Working...
              X