Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to tell prospective employers about long periods of time off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to tell prospective employers about long periods of time off?

I have been out of work for 15 months due to MS related issues. I now feel like I am able to go back to work part time. I am already anxious about the questions concerning why I left my last employer and why I have not been working for the last year. What is the best way to address this? I hate to lie but disclosing seems like an automatic shut door.

amyrising, when the question came up during job interviews, I responded by saying I was fulltime care giver for ill family member, which was partially true. If I was pressed for more info, I disclosed that my family member did not survive. That usually stopped anyone perusing that line of questioning in their tracks.

I was the sick family member, but also had a sibling who was very ill for many years and died during my time out of work.

If you 'open the door' by discussing your own illness, it gives the employer one of the few legal opportunities to ask about your medical info that employers are otherwise not allowed to discuss during a job interview.

Very happy to hear you are considering getting back to work. It's a good indication that you've recovered from the worst if it. Working has generally been very therapeutic for me personally, and I think it's true for most people, not to mention the financial benefits of earning an income.

Best of luck

Comment

I would hate to lie as well, but as you said, if you don't, I would be surprised if any door opens.

Can you say you took time off to care for a family member? Whatever you choose, the less you say, the better. Less likelihood you would get caught in a lie.

If you can't lie, then I would just say you had medical treatment followed by recovery/therapy, and you are now better and OK to return to work. I would not mention MS. This may still shut some doors, but less than if you say MS.

I believe the NMSS has some helpful articles on job searches and gaps in work history.

Good luck in your search. Glad to hear you feel better.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. I'm just worried that if for some reason I am not able to continue doing the job (or possibly not able to do it right away), they will be upset with me for not telling them.

Comment

amyrising, despite the best credentials, work experience, recommendations, etc., employees just do not always work out. Hiring can often be a bit of a crap shoot. MS or not.

Employers do not always disclose to new hires workplace problems, sometimes recruit new employees who are leaving long term secure employment with a promising future, even when the short term future of the hiring company is bleak. Employer do not disclose their own workplace problems during the hiring process.

In the final days of my employment with a previous employer, they recruited an employee with 10yrs employment with a competitor, and within 60 days announced downsizing of +600 employees. The new hire got the downsizing news via a mid day new cast while the employee was making a sales presentation to the local Chamber of Commerce.

The same employer had recently issued their new corporate mission statement:

'People you can trust for life' Can't make this stuff up.

Comment

I got the job!! I am just praying my stress level will stay low enough to not cause problems for my health.

Thank you all for the advice!

Comment

What great news Amy, well done and congrats!

Comment

Congratulations! Use days off wisely, rest, rest, rest. That's what I do to gear up for the next work day. It helps. Good luck!

Comment

Good luck Amy ! I hope all works out well for you.
                  Kathy
                  DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
                  X