Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IS ANYONE ELSE USING A WEIGHT VEST FOR BALANCE? i AM CONSIDERING BUYING ONE.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IS ANYONE ELSE USING A WEIGHT VEST FOR BALANCE? i AM CONSIDERING BUYING ONE.

I RECENTLY MET (BRIEFLY) A FELLOW MS PATIENT WHO PRAISED HIS WEIGHTED VEST (IT ALLOWED HIM TO GET RID OF HIS CANE. I WAS HOPING SOMEONE ELSE HAD MORE INPUT ON THE VESTS AND THEIR COST.

I read an article about them a while back, but haven't heard anything about them since ... It sounded like such a neat way to be able to walk w/o using a cane or 'bouncing off the walls'.

I too am curious about them. What type of doctor / PT would you even see about one?

Comment

balancewear vest.

Originally posted by Gwendolyn View Post
      I RECENTLY MET (BRIEFLY) A FELLOW MS PATIENT WHO PRAISED HIS WEIGHTED VEST (IT ALLOWED HIM TO GET RID OF HIS CANE. I WAS HOPING SOMEONE ELSE HAD MORE INPUT ON THE VESTS AND THEIR COST.
      i have been using one for 3 years and it has been very useful. go to motiontherapeutics.com for lots of info. the ms society may pay the cost. the site will tell you if there is a pt in your area to fit it. if you have a back problem your insurance may cover it. lots of before and after videos on the web site.

Comment

Before you buy it, I would definitely see a physical therapist for a workup and ask their opinion. I just went through the process of testing a sample hip brace for MS, and discovered that it wasn't appropriate for me at this point in my disease. I would've spent the money (that I don't have) because I was convinced that it was the solution to my problems.

The PT explained to me that everybody is different at every point in the disease, and the videos you see online are the patients that respond ideally to that product. Maybe your PT can order a sample and you can test it out to see if it would benefit you.

Comment

yes you have to go to a pt trained in fitting you and they all have test vests to try after your balance is evaluated. you can tell immediately whether it will be of any use to you and if it does you than order it and you are fitted again. you have to have it reevaluated every 6 months or so.

Comment

Working...
          X