Confused about an initial attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused about an initial attack

I'm currently undiagosed and have no idea what is going on. I have been having symptoms since September 2014. Can an initial attack present as bladder leakage and back pain? Those were my first symptoms and then they went away for three months. They returned in feburary. Could that be considered a CIS?

My doc is not giving me any answers so I'm looking for a new one

Any advice is appreciated

Shannan

HI Shannan,
    Bladder leakage and back pain could be an indicator of a UTI. It could also be many other things.

Have they done any testing at all for MS? MRI? Blood work to rule out other diseases?

Only a neuro could categorize you as CIS, but then again, probably only after doing a lot of initial testing for MS.

There are many other diseases that share the same symptoms.

If you continue to have symptoms, please be vigilant with your medical team. Don't let them brush you off.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by KitOP View Post
      HI Shannan,
      Bladder leakage and back pain could be an indicator of a UTI. It could also be many other things.

Have they done any testing at all for MS? MRI? Blood work to rule out other diseases?

Only a neuro could categorize you as CIS, but then again, probably only after doing a lot of initial testing for MS.

There are many other diseases that share the same symptoms.

If you continue to have symptoms, please be vigilant with your medical team. Don't let them brush you off.

Good luck.

I've had a brain, cervical, and lumbar MRI that were all normal as well as neuro exam. Doctor said that I am fine. I'm still having symptoms though. Bladder leaks, back pain, burning feet, and it feels like my legs are really tight (when im laying down)

I did have blood work and the doctor said all was normal. My B12 was a little on the low side, but not considered a deficiency. It was 238

I'm just trying to make sense of this and to get opinion on whether or not anyone has had any similar experiences.

Comment

Hi Shannan23,

Clinically Isolated Syndrome (CIS) is a diagnosis of a first Neurological episode that might indicate Multiple Sclerosis.

This link explains CIS:
        http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...Syndrome-(CIS)
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi Shannan:

In a nutshell, Clinically Isolated Syndrome (CIS) is a situation in which a person meets the criteria for a diagnosis of MS -- symptom(s) consistent with a demyelinating event, MRI typical for MS, clinical exam indicative of a demyelinating event, possibly other test results indicative of a demyelinating event, and every other possible cause ruled out -- EXCEPT that there has been only one event/attack and and the criteria for a diagnosis of clinically definite MS require two events.

The distinction between one event (CIS) and two events (MS) was made because many people who present with CIS never have a second event and never go on to develop MS.

A lot of people believe that CIS consists of just any kinds of symptoms, but they're mistaken. The criteria for CIS and MS require that those symptoms be typical of an inflammatory/demyelinating event. Nonspecific symptoms don't count.

So your episode of back pain and bladder leakage in September 2014 doesn't count as CIS for a couple of reasons.

First, back pain is nonspecific and not indicative of a demyelinating event. Bladder leakage might possibly have been due to a demyelinating event, but could also be due to other reasons, such as a bladder infection, as someone else pointed out. All other causes would have to be ruled out to make bladder leakage a specific-enough symptom to indicate demyelination.

The second reason it doesn't count as CIS is that you either weren't worked up at the time so no diagnosis of anything could have been made then, or the results of your workup were not consistent with MS.

A recurrence of the same or similar symptoms doesn't make the first occurrence CIS. A diagnosis of CIS can't be made 1) in retrospect and 2) with no clinical evidence of MS to support it.

Even if you eliminate the first occurrence of your nonspecific symptoms, the current event -- normal MRIs, normal neuro exam -- doesn't meet the criteria for MS, so it's not CIS now, either.

Comment

Your posts are very detailed and yet you don't have any kind of diagnosis from your doctor. I see that you have had vitamin B-12 tested and it is only a little bit low. What are your vitamin D levels? Vitamin D plays an important role in your health. If you don't have current levels, you need to have them.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
              Your posts are very detailed and yet you don't have any kind of diagnosis from your doctor. I see that you have had vitamin B-12 tested and it is only a little bit low. What are your vitamin D levels? Vitamin D plays an important role in your health. If you don't have current levels, you need to have them.

I wasn't tested for vitamin D. Can a vitamin D deficiency cause all these symptoms?

Comment

Shannan,

I would see a urologist to find out about the bladder leakage if urine tests have ruled out UTI.

I would guess your blood work tested for diabetes related to burning feet. If so and negative, I would ask your doctor what else could cause a burning sensation.

You may also want to start a stretching routine for your back and legs, as well.as strengthen core if you don't already. Do you sit a lot for work or school? I know for me, there is a catch 22 when I don't feel up to par. I rest more, which leads to back pain and body stiffness. If you are at a computer a lot, you may want an occupational therapist evaluate your posture.

Good luck.Hope you feel better.
                Kathy
                DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
                  Shannan,

I would see a urologist to find out about the bladder leakage if urine tests have ruled out UTI.

I would guess your blood work tested for diabetes related to burning feet. If so and negative, I would ask your doctor what else could cause a burning sensation.

You may also want to start a stretching routine for your back and legs, as well.as strengthen core if you don't already. Do you sit a lot for work or school? I know for me, there is a catch 22 when I don't feel up to par. I rest more, which leads to back pain and body stiffness. If you are at a computer a lot, you may want an occupational therapist evaluate your posture.

Good luck.Hope you feel better.
                  I actually have an appointment with the urologist today to see what's going on. This has been going on since September with about a 3 month break. I'm worried because I heard PPMS commonly begins with a neurogenic bladder, I'm only 24 years old

Comment

I am surprised that your doctor didn't test for low vitamin D ! I will take a 'shot' that you are deficient in vitamin D ! I am not a doctor but you should expect , and receive, complete blood testing. Ask your doctor about vitamin D deficiency ! Good luck

Comment

Hi Shannan,

Originally posted by Shannan23 View Post
                      I actually have an appointment with the urologist today to see what's going on. This has been going on since September with about a 3 month break. I'm worried because I heard PPMS commonly begins with a neurogenic bladder, I'm only 24 years old
                      I am very glad to hear you are seeing a Urologist. Hopefully you find an easy answer for this troublesome symptom.

Multiple Sclerosis presents differently in each of us and symptoms alone will not indicate what type of MS a person may have.

I was diagnosed at your age (24), 30 years ago.

Take care and let us know what the Urologist has to say...we care
                      Diagnosed 1984
                      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Working...
                      X