Ouch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ouch

Wheelie-walker walkers! Do you put the thing in the boot of your car or on the back seat? The wretched things are so heavy and awkward to fold and lift.

I now keep one at work, another one in the house and yet another one to cart stuff from the car to the house.
    I'm like a one woman retirement village.
    This is fine, except for using the walker when out and not-so about.
    In short, I did my back in today. That twist and lift and shove into the back seat of the car was just too much.
    Should I just ask someone for assistance? I couldn't this morning, 'cos it 4.30a.m. before the Anzac Day Dawn Service, and ironically enough it was still dark.

And I could hardly ask my dear 93 year-old WWII veteran friend to help, though he's fit enough to do so.
    Also, what drugs do you take? NSAIDs I presume, plus some Valium.
    (Yes, don't self-diagnose, but too bad. I know it's a back strain, I felt it go. Don't worry, I need advice, and I'm not going to sue.) Everything was closed, and it's Sunday tomorrow.
    I'm not going back to the doctor again this week, because it cost me $160 last week.
    Anyhoo, ow, ow, ow.

There are Rollator Car Carriers now. They are attached to the back of a car much like a bike carrier. You can google them.
    Katie
    "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
    "My MS is a Journey for One."
    Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

You are spot on. Some nsaid, whatever you have and some diazepam ( valium) at night. Maybe 5 mg. If you are taking nsaids a stomach protector such as omeprazole ( a proton pump inhibitor) would be useful. The best thing would be not to do anything too silly in the first place! Hope you feel better soon.

Comment

My caregiver convinced me to buy a wheely walker after the brain aneurism surgery. So I ordered one online. When it came I was horrified at how big and clumsy and heavy it was. It didn't fit through the bathroom door or anywhere else in my apartment so I packed it back up and sent it back. I always wondered how people put them in their cars to go anywhere. Just thinking about lifting that thing into the back of the car hurts my back.

Now I know. You have to get one for everywhere you go. I'm so sorry you got cornered into a position where you had to lift that thing. That twist and turn lifting a heavy object that is awkward is a recipe for disaster for the back.

For remedies, I don't know. I guess NSAIDS help with the inflammation while it heals. Lying on an ice pack has been old faithful for me. I find that doing gentle crunches (partial sit ups) helps. If it doesn't relieve the pain, at least your abs will be stronger to prevent your back from being injured again.

That's my cyberPT.

Comment

Working...
        X