we are the message

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we are the message

I have MS, and use a cane. I realize many of you have progressed further with this stinkin' disease than I have, but I do NOT want to be defined as "the teacher with MS". So I decorate my cane...

Today one of my sweet 7th graders came up and said she liked how I kept making the cane different and interesting (right now I have a fox looking up at a bird on the handle). She has an aunt with MS who uses a walker, and so this girl decorated her aunts walker. The aunt was SO THRILLED.

I guess I just feel good that I have expressed the "be all that you can be" aspect to my students. Some of them are certainly going through so much themselves!
    You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

What a great story, zilphia And what a sweet student you have in your classroom to pay it forward for her aunt. I'm sure the aunt was pleased. In fact, it inspires me to decorate my own walker!

Thanks for sharing your story!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

How creative you are, Z. I use a cane very seldom; only sometimes, if an MS flare affects my mobility. And, I've never thought of decorating Ingrid (my cane). Not sure that I even have the creativity to picture how that would look.

But, what a great idea! If I ever graduate to needing a cane on a regular basis, I might explore that.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
      X