3 Wheeled electric travel scooter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 Wheeled electric travel scooter

Can anyone recommend a 3 wheeled electric travel scooter that is lightweight and easily disassembled for transport? I know I am asking a lot. I figured that I would lay out my wish list for a scooter as I have been using an older GoGo that is many of these things, only it is not always reliable. I got the GoGo used and it would disassemble for transport. The wheels are kind of small which makes for a bumpier ride. The seat could be much more comfortable, and so on. I have seen the newer version of the GoGo and I wonder if there is anyone on this site that has some positive experience with a travel scooter.

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
    Can anyone recommend a 3 wheeled electric travel scooter that is lightweight and easily disassembled for transport? I know I am asking a lot. I figured that I would lay out my wish list for a scooter as I have been using an older GoGo that is many of these things, only it is not always reliable. I got the GoGo used and it would disassemble for transport. The wheels are kind of small which makes for a bumpier ride. The seat could be much more comfortable, and so on. I have seen the newer version of the GoGo and I wonder if there is anyone on this site that has some positive experience with a travel scooter.
    Check out travelscoot.com .

I've had one for about four years and am pleased with how easy it is to transport. With the small Li-ON battery it weighs under 35 pounds and is very easy to travel with. There are several problems - the brakes require strong hands, though you might want to ask about modifications and there is no reverse so you need one working leg in order to go backwards. The wheels are small - you will feel every bump. It will not go very far on soft surfaces.

All in all I'm glad I have it - I am strong enough that I can pick it up (with battery) and put it into the back of my station wagon or friend's SUV. For cars with trunks, it comes apart and folds easily, the largest component weighs about 20 pounds.

My scooter has traveled to many spots in the US, Canada, Chile, and Argentina. If you plan on flying, get the small, expensive Li-ON battery and put it in your carry on luggage at the bottom of the ramp before letting the ground crew put the scooter in the luggage compartment.

The folks at travelscoot.com are very helpful.
    I don't visit msworld as often as I used to and probably won't see responses, feel free to email me if you have questions that Tony and other staffers can't answer.

Comment

Does anyone know about the 'Drive' brand scooter. I am on the hunt for a scooter that I can use to get around my neighborhood sidewalks and also use when I take a cruise on a big cruise liner. Otherwise, if I don't have a good scooter, I will not be able to accompany my wife and teenager on vacation. My wife really needs a 'cruise' vacation. You know, my MS is killing my wife! And it is pretty hard on me, too ! Any suggestions?

Comment

Travel Scooter

Jerry - I have been researching the lightweight travel scooters for several months. Google Lexi Light and Luggie. They both have really good comments and the video posts look like they are easily folded and wheeled to your car for compact storage in your trunk. My hubby and I are going on a European cruise in Sept to celebrate his retirement and I want to make the most of the trip despite my MS.

My husband works at Orlando airport and he recently saw an incoming passenger riding the Lexi Light. The woman riding has MS and she and her husband were just returning from Israel. They said they have owned 3 of them in a 10 year period because they are frequent travelers. They said they couldn't live without it. Hopefully the scooters have a longer life for normal 2-4 trips per year.

For airplane travel, you just fold it up before boarding the plane and it is stored until you arrive for disembarking.

I'll be going to Hudson, FL to check them out in the next month so I'll try to post a review.

Comment

I don't have any experience with scooters because I don't need one yet, so I can't give you any reviews. But barring any medical breakthroughs, I will probably need one in the near future, so I'm always looking at options. I found this site that looks like a dealer for multiple brands, and what I like about it that you can easily compare some of the most important considerations such as driving range, weight of heaviest part, top speed, and turn radius. The radius is something I've not seen mentioned much before, but that would have to be really important for maneuverability.

http://www.topmobility.com/folding-t...oters-s450.htm

That Hummer XL looks like you could hitch up farm implements and plow the north 40 with it. A little something for everyone, I guess.
          PPMS
          Dx 07/13

Comment

If you don't want the hassle of traveling with your own scooter, there is a company that rents the equipment you need, and they will have it waiting for you when you arrive for your cruise. Google "special needs at sea". I haven't used them, but others give them great reviews.

Comment

New Lexus Light Scooter

I purchased my new travel scooter the Lexus Light by Tzara that I will be taking to Vegas, Oregon and Europe this year. I won't give into my limpy legs. I'm going to try to figure out how to download my video so you can see how easy it is to fold up. I'm excited to live my new adventures out with my recently retired husband.

Comment

Firefly Power Handcycle

I know I'm a little late replying to this thread, but I just got a new Firefly power handcycle, that's really lightweight. It attaches to the wheelchair, and basically turns it into a scooter, or a power chair. The whole handcycle is only 25 lb, and the battery is only 5 lb. I needed something lightweight enough for me to get in and out of the car by myself, and this is what my insurance got me. I'm able to manage it on my own, and that's pretty significant, since I have secondary progressive. I'm REALLY excited to have some of my independence back, because now I can get out again! I can't address the cost, because my insurance paid for it. But if you google "firefly power handcycle", you'll find the company's website. I think the only drawback may be that it doesn't attach to all wheelchairs, but there's a list on the website of which ones it works with.
                "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much."
                ~Mother Teresa

Comment

Wow, Beth! That's really cool. The lever and the assist ones look interesting, too! I just wish they had a local dealer so I could see how well I would do with lifting the units into the car, or how much extra oophm that the lever one gives you.
                  PPMS
                  Dx 07/13

Comment

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I bought the GoGo X3 and I am using it on everything except in my house and that exception is because my home has several levels that are one step up or one step down.
                    Your responses are much appreciated ! Good luck

Comment

Working...
                    X