No announcement yet.

I have MS and it is the best thing to ever happen to me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent post rdmc! We are all at different stages of this disease so we will all have different perspectives and they will change as the disease progresses.

Comment

Originally posted by AMJ View Post
      Excellent post rdmc! We are all at different stages of this disease so we will all have different perspectives and they will change as the disease progresses.
      What a brilliant way of putting it AMJ, well said.
      Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ... Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by AMJ View Post
        I completely disagree with that statement, it sounds as if you’re saying all MSers that see good in their lives are doomed to progress to a stage of doom and gloom.

Although it is untrue to say faith and/or willpower will cure/cause MS, it is a scientifically proven fact that how we view our MS/stress does make a difference. I’ll refer you to TED talk “Kelly McGonigal: How to make stress your friend” video (that can Google)

There is a mind, body, and spirit connection; and just like we diet, exercise, and take meds for are bodies to help tame this MonSter, we must also work our minds and spirit.

I never see MS as the best nor worst thing in my life, but I say congratulation to those who do see it as the best thing and wish the all MSers the best.
        Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

I'm really enjoying this discussion and reading the different perspectives. It reminds me of the time I went to a MS Society meeting and one member said that without MS she would never have moved to the city and taken a bus. As I picked my jaw up off the floor a lot of thoughts were racing through my mind, non very flattering. I've been disabled for quite a few years so now I just think meh, whatever gets you through. Everything I've done has been in spite of MS.

I think AMJ really nailed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir-Voor View Post
            I completely disagree with that statement, it sounds as if you’re saying all MSers that see good in their lives are doomed to progress to a stage of doom and gloom.
            Sir-Voor, I don't think this is what AMJ meant at all. The reason I so completely agreed with this statement is because it is totally true.

The truth of the matter is that we do see and react to our MS in different ways,depending on how it is affecting us. So for example when I was first diagnosed and had hardly any ill effects from the disease, I didn't see the MS is something so bawful. And yet now that has me in its greedy little grips and yes it DOES have me and has all but obliterated my life, I see it as the monster it is.

So what AMJ was saying is that our prospective changes according to how the disease affects us. Nowhere in this statement do I see any reference to MSers that see good in their lives being doomed.
            Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ... Dr. Seuss

Comment

Achived total consciousness

Thank you "best ever" people. I now realize how lucky I am to be wheelchair bound, don't have to golf twice a week, play racquetball in the winter, go to work at my great accounting job (SSDI) and oh yah don't have to do anything physical with my grand kids.

Comment

Everyone looks at me funny when I say the same thing.

MS has made me better. Before my dx I only slept 3 hours a night (if I were lucky), I tried to be super woman. I worked for a veterinarian 46 hours a week min., I took college classed 3 nights a week, I rode my horses several hours a night, then I coonhunted every night (sometimes all night) with competitions every weekend. Add raising 2 kids and 1 sorry husband and I was heading for disaster. I once told my mom that I would rest when I was dead.

After my diagnosis, I got rid of the sorry husband and got a good one, decided to quit the hunting (I still judge the shows and miss the hunts), only ride 1 horse daily instead of 6. I finished college, but still work part time at the vet clinic. My children are grown now and they have stories that they can tell about all the places they have been when I hunted. They can also tell tales about all their horseback riding adventures. I now sleep 7-8 hours a night so I am a much more pleasant a person to be around.

I thought I was the only one that lived a hectic life and tried to keep it up along with fighting the MS. Now I say do as much as you can without ruining your health.
                All sunsets are beautiful, but the most amazing sunsets have a few clouds.

Comment

I have MS and it is the worst thing that has ever happened to me.

Comment

OMG I Hate That Statement!!

So glad that someone is able to feel that way. Wondering how long you have had MS. I just don't get it...Delusional maybe?

Comment

At best, I'd have to say MS is a thing that has happened to me. It's taken a while to get to this point.
                      I never really asked "why me".
                      Why not me?
                      But to be honest, knowing I had it, even when I was pretty young and fit, kind of messed up my future.

My life is not, in any way, the life I had imagined when I was a girl.
                      For instance, I've got a job I love and at which I am still very good.

But I can't walk and I'm too tired to work more than two days a week, so that dream is gone.
                      As Mr Brando said in 'On the Waterfront', "I coulda been a contender".

And I can, and do, give myself points for being stoic and yes, brave, but that hearing that MS diagnosis was the single worst moment of my life, and probably of my family's, too.

(And I've had a burst brain aneurysm, so I know whereof I speak.)
                      Last edited by Seasha; 05-16-2015, 05:03 PM.

Comment

MS definitely put an end to the dream here too. But I've had some frontal lobe related gait and posture issues that sometimes appear as developmental deficits in infancy. I think about that and it puts some perspective on my situation. In the grand scheme of things.

Still makes MS the most messed up thing ever to happen to me.
                        Last edited by Seasha; 05-16-2015, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Not the best thing, but not the worst

I cannot say MS is the best thing that ever happened to me - it's taken away too many of the things I loved to do. But there are positives. I have a whole new appreciation of my family - both earthly and spiritual. What a wonderful support group they have been! Annoying at times, with ignorant statements and second guessing drs. diagnosis,etc., but really good people. And there's the fact that I have a good excuse to not keep a perfectly clean house. And, although I really miss being able to jump in the car and go wherever,sometimes it's nice to just sit back and let someone else worry about dealing with all the other crazy drivers put there. All in all, it's the pits, but I try to stay positive.

Comment

Working...
                          X