I have MS and it is the best thing to ever happen to me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have MS and it is the best thing to ever happen to me

I say this to people and they look at me like I am insane. But its true. I was not a good man before MS. I worked too much, ignored my kids, was a jerk to my wife. MS slowed me down. Made me more compassionate. Made me stop and appreciate things.

Listen, MS sucks! I know that. It causes people lots of pain (I knock on wood I have been lucky to mostly avoid). It takes practically everything from us. But it has not and will not change my spirit. We should all know the saying: I have MS but MS doesn't have me. And it is true. I am proof of that. Keep your head up. We are warriors!
    Possible MS 1998, RRMS, Dx 2009. Betaseron- Sep '09 - April '15, Aubagio- April '15 to present.

Hi MRomanow and greetings from one MS warrior to another! So refreshing to hear your spin on things and thanks for sharing this. I'm glad to hear this dx has made you a kinder and more compassionate soul. I'm sure your family feels the same.

I was a kind person before, but never took the time to really appreciate all life's blessings - slowing down has made me notice and appreciate the small things that I was too busy or preoccupied to notice before!

I hope you find yourself at home here and take advantage of all that MSWorld has to offer. Your positivity shines through and we all could use more of that
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hiya!
      That is true when we rush to work, house, then more work at home with chores and projects we do tend to lose focus on the real reason why we exist.
      I don't think you're nuts, appreciate what we have of true value which is friends and family.
      Dx RRMS 2015

Comment

it is incredible when you think about it, but the slowing down brings so many issues that you did not pay attention to to the forefront. And it is ironic that we do not realize how important the things are. I cannot echo these points enough.
        "Keep your head up. We are warriors!" I said this to my FIL as he lay on his bed in the hospital (hhe has had cancer for 35 years). And that he had to hold on, which he did not do, because that would only leave me to be an example.
        hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
        volunteer
        MS World
        hunterd@msworld.org
        PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

The little things in life mean hold more value to me now. I'll admit it. I was wrong to brush them aside because I was too busy to pay attention to them in the past. I was more blind to it before my optic neuritis struck me a good one.

I was even too busy to listen to my own body telling me something wasn't right. But it's for the best because I learned my lesson on that part.

Lets seize the day!
          Dx RRMS 2015

Comment

MRomanow, so glad MS has enhanced your life. I was an attentive parent, worked 50-60 hour work week, traveled extensively, provided for my small family that consisted of my child and myself. Since MS that is no longer true. I'm wishing you the best, but MS is the worst thing that could have happened to me and my family.

Comment

Welcome to MS World. BTW

MRomanow, I'm really happy your life is blessed since your MS dx. I hate to be a 'Debbie Downer', but maybe just another example of how different each of our MS experiences can be.

Best wishes for continuing good life coming your way.

Comment

Sorry

That is why I feel guilty. I am sorry if I offended anyone.
                Possible MS 1998, RRMS, Dx 2009. Betaseron- Sep '09 - April '15, Aubagio- April '15 to present.

Comment

do not feel guilty, it is wonderful that you feel this way. It is not a common thing to see. You brought up a point that is not normally seen in an MS patient. It is nice to see something positive.
                  hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                  volunteer
                  MS World
                  hunterd@msworld.org
                  PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Please don't feel guilty. As for me, I wouldn't say it was the best thing to happen, but because of it, some changes really were positive. I have learned a lot about myself, as well as those who love me. And I now take the time to focus on gratitude, which really helps.

It was good to read your post. Hope to see more from you.
                    Kathy
                    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

MRomanow, after I read my post I had second thoughts and really regretted the possibility that it might cause you some guilt, which was not my intention. I'm really jealous of your good luck and optimism. Keep up the good work.

Best thoughts coming your way.

Comment

Thanks for your words

Thanks for the kind words. Listen, I have been very fortunate. I got a lot of things out of this disease, coupled with my hard work, that have allowed me to live where I live and do the things that I do. I get to take care of my wife and daughter and run my MS Support group.

I do feel guilty when I see others struggling. That is why I help the homeless and have given canes and walkers to friends that needed them. I try to be the best man I can be and do everything to "Pay it forward." Keep on keeping on. Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MRomanow View Post

I do feel guilty when I see others struggling. That is why I help the homeless and have given canes and walkers to friends that needed them. I try to be the best man I can be and do everything to "Pay it forward." Keep on keeping on. Mike
                          Don't EVER feel guilty about having a "kinder" version of this disease. Paying it forward makes you a good citizen...thank-you for that...sounds like to me you are a pretty good guy.
                          Katie
                          "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                          "My MS is a Journey for One."
                          Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Mike,
                            You are doing great things by 'paying it forward'. I thought that I responded with my feelings and those are that have had nothing but misery from this disease. I guess that I didn't.
                            I am happy for you and your positive outlook and general positivity. You have nothing to apologize for. You are doing the best that you can with what you have. Good luck

Comment

You're doing great finding the silver lining in the cloud. I csn see plenty of good Thst has come from having MS, but at the end of the day I would rather not have MS even if it meant I didn't have any of these silver linings.

Comment

Working...
                              X