Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tysabri and immune system?

I also do have some specific questions about Tysabri:

1. Someone in a post about Tecfidera vs. Tysabri said that if on Tysabri it limits the amount of chemo you can receive (later in life?) I responded to that post, but have not heard back and am anxious to hear more about that. Can anyone talk to that point?

2. Tysabri is an immune system inhibitor? Is that true? Does that mean that when you are on this, that you are more prone to getting sick? (I am a teacher: big concern). (My doctor seemed to say "no" to this, but in reading things it seems contradictory...)

3. Also, I just was reading a post that led me to believe that yes you are more prone to catching things. I believe it was implying that you are also more prone to catching the JC virus (since your immune system is low)

Please, please, I hope someone, really I hope several of you comment on this post.
    RRMS Dx: 3/23/15
    (Optic Neuritis Dx 2/27/15; Feb/2014 right leg numbness--at the time diagnosed as Sciatica, but probably first episode)
    Started Tysabri 5/22/15: (Infusions: 5/22/15, 6/18/15, 7/16/15)

1. As I mentioned in my post in Tecfidera, I know of no connection between Tysabri and future chemo treatments being limited. Check with your neuro, but I think this comment was dead wrong. Previous use of chemo drugs might make you less likely to take Tysabri because chemo drugs lower your immune system, and you don't want a "double dose" impact on your immune system. At each infusion, you will be asked if you have taken a variety of chemo drugs in the past month.

2. Tysabri is a immune system modulator, an laboratory-produced monoclonal antibody. It is designed to hamper movement of potentially damaging immune cells from the bloodstream, across the blood brain barrier." Since you are modifying your immune system, you do need to be aware of others who are sick. You would need to take more care, especially if you are a teacher. However, it is doable.

3. If you read up on how the JC virus is "caught", being around other people is not one way. It is found in urban sewage, dirt, feces, etc.

Comment

I have been on Ty for 8 1/2 years and have had maybe 2-3 colds and no other illness
      My son a biochemist told me a long time ago that I needed to take vitamins. I listened to him and if I feel a sniffle coming on I take a lot of Vit C-I stay well !! It's my story and I'm sticking to it

I have never heard that once on Ty you have to be careful of chemo meds. If taken before Ty (like Novantrone) you then may have to limit your Tysabri infusions-depending on your Dr's input.
      Linda

Comment

I believe your doctor is correct that people on Tysabri are not more prone to being sick. I don't believe the same can be said for DMTs like Tecfidera and Gilenya which are known to reduce white blood cell counts and have to monitored for that. Tysabri doesn't have to be monitored for low white blood counts. Some of the other meds commonly have flu-like symptoms as side effects.

The people I know on Tysabri seem to have less issues with side effects and illnesses than those on other meds but this is only my observation.

About catching the JC virus, the longer you live the more possible you would get it, same with every other malady. 60 to 80% of the population is JCV positive and conversion from - to + is common with getting older.

JCV can lead to PML. There have been about 550 cases of PML in about 135,000 taking Tysabri. Most of the other 134,000 have done pretty well on it.

Comment

Working...
        X