Slipping Jimmy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slipping Jimmy

Boss came to work for the usual staff meeting yesterday. "Has anyone got any issues?" She asked.
    "Well, yes, I have been using a wheelie-walker for five months, and I keep being promised/assured a ramp will be installed so I don't have lift the bugger up and down all the internal steps. Any chance?"
    "Oh, it's not in this year's budget."

"I am sorry, but this is not a budgetary matter, it is an OH&S issue. If these ramps are not installed very soon, I will have no choice but to ring Maurice Blackburn (the no win, no pay lawyers), " I said.

"Oh don't do that, and we can always get them removed when you leave."

"No. I am not the only person in this town with mobility problems. Access to this office is a right, not a privilege."

I felt quite pleased with myself. Ramps have been "expedited" whatever that means.

And failing that, I'll be doing a "Slipping Jimmy". (Better Call Saul.) I did actually fall a over h at home negotiating the bathroom. Can't really sue myself, alas.

Pat yourself on the back for standing up for yourself and all else with mobility issues! Proud of you, Think

Now for the wait and hope it's not too long. In the meantime, be safe!

I want a ramp or two myself at home. It's nearly impossible to negotiate steps with walkers.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Good for you.

I had a problem with the snow plow blocking my sidewalk (the only way into my house). After several messages to the person in charge of the road crew with no call back, I called a Councilman, and explained the problem. I told him if I came home, or was leaving to work, and the sidewalk was blocked, I would call out the fire department to shovel me an opening.

He told me he would bring them there, and show them what to do.
      He did that, and the plowing has been fine since.

You gotta do what you have to.

Comment

I feel blessed that my co-workers were pre-emptive and made sure I had a designated spot by the door so I wouldn't ever slip in the snow maneuvering around vehicles. They promise me if I ever need a scooter that they'll "jazz" it up so I can be really fast!

I feel so loved .
        Brenda
        Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

Working...
        X