MIGRAINES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MIGRAINES

I know migraines can be a symptom of MS but they are rare. They have never been a symptom of mine. Then I started on Gilenya on February 12th. From that forward I have had a migraine everyday. I attributed it to the Gilenya since migraines were a side effect. I was taken off of Gilenya on March 17th. Naturally I thought the migraines would stop. Well, they haven't.

I mentioned the migraines to my Neuro last week and he said he is probably from the Gilenya. I take Fiorcet for them it helps but my concern is their frequency. Not a day goes by that I don't have one. Some days are worse than others.

So now I believe they are a new symptom. Does anyone else have migraines as a symptom? If so how often do get them?

Would really like some feedback to see if I should get possibly get checked out for something else that may be causing them other than MS. Thanks!!
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

Originally posted by Waydwnsouth1 View Post
    I know migraines can be a symptom of MS but they are rare. They have never been a symptom of mine. Then I started on Gilenya on February 12th. From that forward I have had a migraine everyday. I attributed it to the Gilenya since migraines were a side effect. I was taken off of Gilenya on March 17th. Naturally I thought the migraines would stop. Well, they haven't.

I mentioned the migraines to my Neuro last week and he said he is probably from the Gilenya. I take Fiorcet for them it helps but my concern is their frequency. Not a day goes by that I don't have one. Some days are worse than others.

So now I believe they are a new symptom. Does anyone else have migraines as a symptom? If so how often do get them?

Would really like some feedback to see if I should get possibly get checked out for something else that may be causing them other than MS. Thanks!!
    Yes, at least once a week, often more like every third day. I believe they may related to optic symptoms I have.

Comment

I too get migraines quites often, and my neuro agrees that it's an MS thing, for me.

Mine have nothing do with optic issues...I've been checked numerous times for neuritis and all sorts of things. Migraines are just part of what I deal with on a regular basis with MS.

I have prescription medication to help, both preventative and for the 'onset', but they are often hit and miss.

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. Having daily migraines is so debilitating! You could maybe ask your neuro about trying a preventative med?
      Kara Friesen
      living.a.new.journey/kara/LiveOP

[I]Content Management Director's Assistant
      Express Newsletter Editor
      Living with MS since 2010

Comment

Migraines may be a "rare" symptom, but they're one of the first ones that sent me looking for medical help. It's not an optic issue for me either (just "lucky" I guess).

My migraines were a daily thing until I was put on daily maintenance meds. I've also meds to take for pain at the onset if they start, but I can't wait AT ALL after pain starts, or they don't work.
        Maybe it's worth taking to your doctor about a preventative medication.
        "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
        Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

what happened?

waydownsouth, do you still have MS migraines daily?
          was the dr. able to help? if so, how?

i'm having weekly migraines, sometimes 2 a week, can't imagine daily.
          praying that you're better.

i;m on Nabumetone 2x a day for prevention, and Rizatriptan for the onset.
          Been on those for 3 months with no help or change.

we'd love to hear how you're doing.
          take care & God bless ya!
          nicki
          "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

I also get them depending on what's going on at least a couple times a week. I feel them coming on and into my dark quiet bedroom I go. Oh with my
            Rizatriptan.

Feel better and good luck!
            DIAGNOSED=2012
            ISSUES LONG BEFORE
            REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

This would not be a fun symptom at all to have! Feeling grateful it isn't one of mine! Good luck to all who have to deal with this.
              Brenda
              Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

I've had migraines since age 13. Over the years I've found that it is always a combination of triggers that occurs before I pass, what I call, the headache threshold. Usually a combo of at least 2 of these triggers:
                • Overtired
                  Low blood sugar/hungry
                  PMS
                  Barometric pressure swing
                  MSG
                  Dehydration

I have a phone app called "pain diary" and I track my migraines and general MS pain. It is very helpful for recognizing triggers, and determining if therapies are working. I also found early-on that hormone birth control caused near-constant complex migraine...so I avoided. I hope you find relief! I know how debilitating migraine is!
                RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

Working...
                X