appointment cancelled 2 times in a row

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

appointment cancelled 2 times in a row

I go to a big neurology practice. There 2 location and the one I am going to there are like 6 floor and many different neurologist in many different offices with many different specialties. I'm not sure how it all work but I do know I call the main number and they make all the appointments for all the the doctors at all the locations. If you want to speak with someone in your specific office they transfer you.

So at my last appointment in december I made my next appointment for march, this was done at the actual office on the 2nd floor not through reception, they have 2 people that get your labs and scheduled visits on your way out it's all computerized. I got a letter in the mail in Feburary that Dent Neurology could not "accommodate" me on that day I would need to call and get a new appointment... So I did. I made a new appointment for April 17. I just received a letter last week saying they could not "accommodate" me on that day I need to call and make a new appointment. .... I just I don't even know what to do at this point.

Is that normal to send a letter why not CALL me and reschedule?

Am I wrong for being furious? I didn't just call them and say "hey this is when i'm coming in mark it down." I spent like 15 mins on the phone figuring out a day with the receptionist.

My immediate response was to look for a new neuro.... but I really like my neurolgist, I"m not a fan of his PA which is who I always see but i've never tried asking to not see her. I do not like being treated like I don't matter. I would guess that because it's such a large practice he probably doesn't even know what's going on.
    Sos219
    4/24/2014
    Avonex

Gilenya 1/29/2015- present

Hi sos219,

Sorry to hear about your appointments. I don't think that way of notifying a patient is very common (I always get a phone call, and I go to a large practice), but it is something I've heard of before.

My girlfriend's husband was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's. He got the same type of letters you did from his neurology practice. My girlfriend was also furious, since he wasn't doing well at the time, and was still fairly new into his diagnosis. His meds still weren't right and his cognitive skills were bad, so he kept forgetting to reschedule his appointment. He finally did, then also got another letter asking him to reschedule it. (Which she found by accident)

She was so upset, she wanted him to find another neurologist. Not sure if he ever did or not, but he is doing better right now. So, whoever he's seeing has helped him.

I'm glad you like your neurologist, but it would bother me if I never saw him/ her (unless I liked the PA better). It wouldn't hurt to ask if/ when (and maybe why) you'll be able to see your neurologist again. Could be your neurologist only sees a patient every so many visits, unless things aren't going well. I also doubt your neurologist has any idea your appointments were cancelled twice in a row. Things happen, but I wouldn't be too happy about that.

I'd hope your neurologist is aware how the staff handles appointments that need to be rescheduled. But, maybe not? He/ she won't know how much this upset you unless you tell him/ her. Maybe your neurologist would request an exception be made for you if this happens in the future, to be called instead? (But, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.)

Good luck.
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

I see the MS certified nurse on most visits. He is very attentive and takes copious notes that are all entered into my record. The neurologist comes in near the end of the appointments, if there is some new symptom or concern. It seems to work well, and I like both the nurse and the neuro.

As for appointment cancellations, it hasn't happened often. Maybe three times in five years. But they either call me or send an email asking me to call and reschedule. I would certainly be upset if I got letters instead. Maybe a letter to your neurologist would be effective.
      Portia

Comment

Working...
      X