Lumbar Puncture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lumbar Puncture

I had an LP done on Thursday in order to help in the diagnosis of if I have MS or not. Since then I have been laid up on my back. I have been drinking lots of fluids, especially those with caffeine, but when I get up, I still get shooting pain in my head. I feel shaky and weak as well. I plan on calling my doc in the AM, but I am wondering how much I should be worried. As a teacher, I really need to get back if I can, but I can't in this shape.

Should I be calling the hospital already? Or am I okay to wait to call my doc in the AM? I feel much worse in the AM, as if I am dehydrating during the night, though I drink every time I wake up.

thoughts? Opinions?

thanks

my thought is you should call the on-call doctor at the practice. It sounds like you may have a leak and require a patch. But I do not know for sure, I am not a trained medical person, I and just a regular Joe.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Okay, so never thought the neuro would have on call doctor. So the doc called back and I told him what was going on. He said to go ahead and call the hospital in the morning and let them know that he wants them to go ahead and give me a blood patch in the morning. So your thoughts were right. He thinks I am leaking as well. But he doesn't think they will do the blood patch tonight, so there is no use going in tonight, but to wait till the morning.

Ughs....He said I was doing everything right. And to drink drink drink all night long to try to keep hydrated through the night....yay....

Comment

Sorry to hear that the LP is giving you this problem. The good news is that you got some good advice. Good luck

Comment

Been there twice. Both times I had to wait at least five days after before they would do a blood patch.

First time (22 years ago) I was told It was my fought. That I wasn't laying down and/or wasn't drinking enough water. Whatever. Like I enjoyed getting the head aches.

Second time (2 Years ago) is when i went in for a pump screening. After five days they agreed to do a patch. When I got the pump I was told I would stay in the hospital flat on my back for three days.

Comment

what

Did it work ?????

Comment

yes it did.

It was hard to eat laying flat on my back, and I had a catheter in. They would not let me get out of the supine position.

Comment

Originally posted by 90stangg View Post
                yes it did.

It was hard to eat laying flat on my back, and I had a catheter in. They would not let me get out of the supine position.
                I had a spinal cord leak 5 years ago had to be transported to another hospital by ambulance had to lay flat for 5 days and it didn't work so I had to have a 6 hour surgery to repair the leak. 2 weeks later it happened again and I had to have another surgery and spent 3 weeks total in hospital.

Mine was caused from back surgery so it's a bit different then you but none the less do exactly as they say (sounds like you are). After returning home you may still have headaches I took ferrinol (not sure if that's spelled right) and it worked amazing for the headaches.

Best of luck and hang in there.
                Tira

Comment

Working...
                X