Brain games are threatening to me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brain games are threatening to me...

Hi, I was diagnosed 6 months ago and have quite severe cognitive problems. My non MS sister tells me to do brain games (such as luminosity). I CAN NOT do them without crying because they are so difficult. I try and try and now see them as a threat to my well being (I know, weird). Does anyone have suggestions for what I could do instead?

I have the same problems with them. I try to read a couple of pages of a book every day to make me feel like am not losing it. i refuse to give in to this disease, even if my brain is getting spongy. Good luck

Comment

You might want to check out the arcade right here on MSWorld. There is a wide variety of games to play.

Here is the link: http://www.msworld.org/forum/arcade.php

Hope you can find something there. I too do play some games to try to keep the brain working. Sometimes, yes, I do have to give up. But at least I tired, and so did you. Nothing wrong with that.

Comment

What about reading poetry? I have problems reading books now as I struggle to retain information on plot lines, characters etc but do enjoy reading short stories, poetry, magazines etc.

Comment

On normal days I play computer games like spades. rummy and yeah the old stand-by solitaire to relax.
          There are also on-line versions of these games as well as dominoes (it adds your points for you ) and others that require thinking . Checkers is a "kids game" that actually does require some strategy (if you are playing with a 'pro') .

My husband and I have a standing monthly "Dinner and Dominoes" date with another couple. Yes we all play to win but it isn't cut-throat. If the scorekeeper (who is terrible at it - he seldom wins a game ) sees a score that someone didn't call he always brings it to your attention and makes sure that you get the credit.

It can be frustrating if I am having a particularly bad day. But it is still fun. A great way to socialize and exercise my brain at the same time.

Comment

can drive you nuts!!!

lumosity is a bit scary! i've been doing it brain games for about a yr. it's scary to see what things i can't do and when my point average goes down.

don't be hard on yourself, anything that challenges your brain to do something different helps.
            the arcade is a great place to check out. i'm a mahjong connect addict!

other things i've heard to help with brain power is to do routine things differently.
            like when you get up in the morning - instead of usual routine like washing face, brush hair then teeth.
            swap it up and brush teeth first, then face or hair.
            even something as simple as using your non-dominant arm/ hand more helps make different connections in your brain.

reading is excellent too.

don't let other people who have NO idea what you're going through bully you!
            just do what is best for you. if they persist, i usually say something like 'that's a good idea, thanks for the help' or ' i appreciate the advice, i'm working on it.'
            just whatever to get them to back off. (and some people you just may have to tell them that!
            because the stress of someone bugging you and what the brain games are making you feel actually will make your MS worse.

so hang in there!

take care & God bless ya!
            "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

I have loved doing pencil puzzle books and games for years. I think MS tends to attack our weakest link (my theory only ), so for me it attacks my digestive track because as a teacher I didn't practice that well, and build up good myelin sheath.

I do like using my brain for games, so I don't see that as being a trouble for me. But maybe doing it paper pencil would be easier than computer???

Just my suggestion.
              Brenda
              Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by wizardsmom6 View Post
                My non MS sister tells me to do brain games (such as luminosity). I CAN NOT do them without crying because they are so difficult. I try and try and now see them as a threat to my well being (I know, weird).
                Hi wizsmom.
                I had bookmarked a link to brain games for MS'ers several years ago and went back to it earlier today. And yeah, luminosity IS hard! No wonder I haven't messed with that one for so long.

I like all the other suggestions you have received - reading is something that I do daily (except when my vision is wonky). I started doing crossword puzzles after MS dx, and was taught to do them in ink. Then did Sudoku for a while, but that was just too many numbers for me. Using non-dominate hand, even listening to music are all ways to form new pathways. I would add one suggestion - Maybe taking up a new hobby? That would require you to learn (remember) something new.

OK 2 suggestions - get a neurophysiology exam to establish a baseline. And they may be able to offer other ways to help.

While it nay not be "normal" to have severe cognitive problems, for many of us with MS it IS something that we have to learn to live with. Hang in there and I hope that knowing that you are not alone in this makes things a little better.

Comment

Brain games often use speed for measuring and are limited in styles of thinking they can test.
                  And they are not good for MSers who often think slower than normal; and just to be clear thinking speed does effect quality of our thought, in fact that can improve the quality by giving thoughts time to fully mature.

I’m a long timer gamer and an active member in the TED talk community, and yet I’m not good at so-called brain-games.
                  I’m a visual learning with a strong divergent & convergent thinking style, and for the most part the old industrial-age education measuring test just don’t measure my style of thinking.
                  Something that has been proven in divergent thinkers is that mod significantly affect task performance, and I’m thinking is like true for all styles. You may be getting a snowball effect, AI: your mod drops resulting in lower brain processing speed and that drops your mod even more creating a bigger and bigger snowball.
                  I do recommend playing games, and recommend thinking outside the box when in what you consider a game.
                  As think Jane McGonigal would say “Instead games that leave you feeling sad, find ones that make you supper better.”
                  I think you will be inspired by her TED talk “Jane McGonigal: The game that can give you 10 extra years of life”

[COLOR"Navy"]**URL removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to your Username on black bar running across top of page > My Settings > Edit Profile**[/COLOR]

you can find your game at her web site superbetter,com
                  Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Working...
                  X