STAGE OF MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

STAGE OF MS

For years now I have been under the understanding that there were 3 stages of MS, until today. I happen to be reading Facebook and there was post that read "The Four Stages of MS". Due to my terrible memory I cannot recall the four that were mentioned but it did confuse me. There was a stage added between RRMS and SPMS. Can somebody clarify this for me for just for knowledge? Not that matters because you are what you are but I would just like to know.
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

Googled it. Here is what I found:

• Relapsing-Remitting MS (RRMS). This is the most common form of multiple sclerosis. About 85% of people with MS are initially diagnosed with RRMS. People with RRMS have temporary periods called relapses, flare-ups or exacerbations, when new symptoms appear2
    • Secondary-Progressive MS (SPMS). In SPMS, symptoms worsen more steadily over time, with or without the occurrence of relapses and remissions. Most people who are diagnosed with RRMS will transition to SPMS at some point3
    • Primary-Progressive MS (PPMS). This type of MS is not very common, occurring in about 10% of people with MS. PPMS is characterized by slowly worsening symptoms from the beginning, with no relapses or remissions2
    • Progressive-Relapsing MS (PRMS). A rare form of MS (5%), PRMS is characterized by a steadily worsening disease state from the beginning, with acute relapses but no remissions, with or without recovery2
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thank you Mamabug, PRMS is the one I was missing. Confusion cleared up.
      Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

Babe Ruth

Comment

I think that you need to careful with your wording. You wrote that you were trying to identify the 'stages' of MS. Mamabug found definitions of the 'forms' of MS, of which there are 4. (RRMS, SPMS, PPMS and PRMS) The words 'forms' and 'stages' are not interchangeable in this discussion. I am glad that you brought this up and that Mamabug posted the definitions. Nice job, Mamabug.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
          I think that you need to careful with your wording. You wrote that you were trying to identify the 'stages' of MS. Mamabug found definitions of the 'forms' of MS, of which there are 4. (RRMS, SPMS, PPMS and PRMS) The words 'forms' and 'stages' are not interchangeable in this discussion. I am glad that you brought this up and that Mamabug posted the definitions. Nice job, Mamabug.
          Thanks, Jerry. The words are partially interchangeable, for a lot of people. SPMS is the second stage of RRMS, for many. And, oh well. I knew what Way meant.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

In the article I read to prompt this question they used the word "Stages". So I used the same word. But Mamabug did know what I was driving at. The author of the article went so far as to compare the stages to cancer saying, "Much like cancer MS has Stages".

However, I know there are many forms of cancer but what are the forms of MS? I thought MS was MS. As compared to cancer having Breast Cancer, Liver Cancer, and on and on.

You brought up an interesting point JerryD. Perhaps I may learn something new about this disease.

Babe Ruth

Comment

Working...
            X