Pump people...a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Rdmc,
    Very glad to hear all is good from the test. Whew!

I've never had a dye test myself but have learned from your posts.
    When you said this one was different and they gave you a bolus, my initial thought to that and your leg feeling better is did the give you an extra bolus of baclofen? As done with the trial? Or are you saying they flushed it out some?

Keep us posted and hope you continue to feel better.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegiraffe View Post
      Hi Rdmc,
      Very glad to hear all is good from the test. Whew!

I've never had a dye test myself but have learned from your posts.
      When you said this one was different and they gave you a bolus, my initial thought to that and your leg feeling better is did the give you an extra bolus of baclofen? As done with the trial? Or are you saying they flushed it out some?

Keep us posted and hope you continue to feel better.
      Hey BG,

Sorry I never got back to take a look at the thread.

I'm pretty sure the bolus was the dye. They extracted the baclofen in the catheter along with some CSF...then they put the dye in. The reason I know it wasn't the baclofen is because when the medtronics tech left, he said it'd be about 10 more minutes before the baclofen reached my spine. And then he reminded me about withdrawal symptoms, in case for some reason something would malfunction and it didn't work properly.

That was an interesting conversation. He said withdrawal would manifest as tachycardia, sweating, and he named a few more symptoms, like increased spasticity, etc. When I think back to when my catheter came loose and was pumping baclofen into my belly not my spine, I had no withdrawal symptoms like he described, just increased spasticity...maybe that's because the baclofen was still in my system and I was absorbing some.

Anyhoo...whatever they did "fixed me" (queue up the Coldplay song, LOL) And the fix stayed, both legs still working. I did get splotches for a day or two after the procedure, they weren't itchy, just prickly. I had an appt to see the NP and she looked at them and called them hives...so I guess whatever they used as contrast didn't like me, or my body didn't like it, although I've had contrast a bunch before for CTs, MRIs, even had the dye test before.

Comment

Originally posted by rdmc View Post
        Anyhoo...whatever they did "fixed me" (queue up the Coldplay song, LOL) And the fix stayed, both legs still working. I did get splotches for a day or two after the procedure, they weren't itchy, just prickly.
        That's awesome, so awesome. Now I just need that guy to visit me in Austin, Texas and fix my peg leg. LOL! I am so psyched for you ... wonderful, wonderful news!

Comment

Sorry about the prickly splotches, guess something to add now as an allergic reaction. (Things like that have happened to me before.) But, so glad to hear the problem was fixed and both your legs are responding again to the baclofen!!!
          Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Pump Nightmare

Hi All,

I had my pump placed last August and unfortunately it resulted in nothing but a nightmare. After it was implanted, I began losing weight at an unbelievable rate, developed high blood pressure from a history of low blood pressure and a physician and his nurse who just scratched their heads wondering what was going on.

I ended up admitted to the hospital for 9 days in November only to be told by 3 physicians and a PT that the pump was causing problems. I finally had it removed December 3rd and on December 24 was readmitted for a large abdominal abscess. Skin necrosis, another surgery, a wound vac, and a very rare bacteria that isn't normally found in humans. Thankfully my PCP listened to me when the pain management doc wouldn't. I was told had I waited any longer this bacteria would've caused sepsis. I'm so thankful that thing is out of my body!!! I know it works greats for some, but it can certainly cause problems for others.

FYI, the surgeon, the hospitalist, and infectious disease docs said the bacteria was likely on the device when it was implanted.
            Melissa (dx. 3/22/2011)

Comment

Originally posted by mlissa67 View Post
              Hi All,

I had my pump placed last August and unfortunately it resulted in nothing but a nightmare. After it was implanted, I began losing weight at an unbelievable rate, developed high blood pressure from a history of low blood pressure and a physician and his nurse who just scratched their heads wondering what was going on.

I ended up admitted to the hospital for 9 days in November only to be told by 3 physicians and a PT that the pump was causing problems. I finally had it removed December 3rd and on December 24 was readmitted for a large abdominal abscess. Skin necrosis, another surgery, a wound vac, and a very rare bacteria that isn't normally found in humans. Thankfully my PCP listened to me when the pain management doc wouldn't. I was told had I waited any longer this bacteria would've caused sepsis. I'm so thankful that thing is out of my body!!! I know it works greats for some, but it can certainly cause problems for others.

FYI, the surgeon, the hospitalist, and infectious disease docs said the bacteria was likely on the device when it was implanted.
              Wow Melissa, That really is a nightmare!

the risk of infection does exist with this surgery, as with any surgery, but the fact that the catheter leads right into the thecal space carries a risk.

So glad your problem was figured out and was taken care of.

Comment

Working...
              X