Swelling in Face

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swelling in Face

Has anyone experienced swelling in their face and around your eyes? I don't know why my face looks so swollen some days when I wake up. I can't connect a cause, but some days I get out of bed to get ready for work and my eyes are swollen and they will stay that way all day. I don't think it is food related, or medication related. It is certainly noticeable, and I am trying to keep my MS private at work, and visible symptoms like these make it increasingly more difficult.

I'm curious if anyone has any feedback from similar experiences, and if you happen to know why this may occur.

Thanks!

i don`t have any facial swelling, but you should mention this to your dr.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I had a cluster of sx's early in my MS that included facial swelling, eyes swollen closed, with very large reddish/purple body hives, ON and chronic UTIs for a 5yr period of active sx's. The swelling and hives always appeared approximately 7-10 days before my period. Since you LoveBoxers, I'm assuming there's at least a remote possibility you don't get a monthly 'visit'. If so, woops and never mind!

Comment

My face and eyes will occasionally swell, especially in the morning. Never thought it had a connection to MS, who knows. I didn't eat anything weird either nor did I use creams on my face as I am definitely allergic to them.

Good luck in finding the cause, mine is more hit or miss than yours.

Take care,
        Lisa
        Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
        SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
        Tysabri

Comment

Everything is not an MS symptom! Check your blood pressure...

One of the first meds they try for mild high blood pressure is a water pill. When my face is swollen I take it...about three times a week rather than every day. And that works with my other BP meds.
          Funny that I looked in this morning because that is exactly what happened last night...went to bed with a swollen face and took pill at night. By this morning my face was normal. (Lots of bathroom trips which is why I usually take it in the morning)
          "Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Currently on rituxan

Comment

Sounds like it could be some sort of water retention. I've had it off and on for years. You could try cutting down on your salt. Do your ankles or legs swell during the day? Since your face is swelling, you could try a bigger, firmer pillow so the fluid won't settle in your face.

As others suggested, I would mention the swelling to your doctor. Good luck!

Comment

That can also be a sign of hypothyroidism – I have it and my eyes are often puffy but it's being treated so maybe I should check my levels! Autoimmune disorders often go hand-in-hand so I would definitely second the advice to check it out with a doctor.

Comment

I googled 'histamine and menstrual cycle', and found an article at WebMD, 'Autoimmune Progesterone Dermatitis'. There are tons of other sites, but the WebMD seemed to explain the basics, a quick read.

Comment

Another condition I have is non Celiac gluten sensitivity. My family can always tell how much gluten I've eaten by taking one look at my face as it's really puffy and 'fat' when I've eaten something I shouldn't. Otherwise my face looks relatively 'slim'.

Comment

I have facial swelling too!

I'm so relieved to hear I'm not the only one- although I wish no one to have this!

Try LYMPHATIC MASSAGE, it really helps with the swelling. Please make sure you go to a massage therapist that is actually trained and certified in lymphatic massage.

I've been doing this for years and it really helps. My therapist will tell me how she can feel the lymph nodes so congested and has such a gentle touch. Which is how that type of massage is done, it's a specific direction to clear the lymphatic system and very gentle.

I too, have a gluten free, very low sodium, lotsa water, strict, healthy diet and have been tested for thyroid, cardio, you name it as a cause for the swelling and all come back normal. (Thankfully because we know nothing is "normal" with MS).

The swelling also furthered to my hands and feet, which makes sense for the lymphatic system and I finally had to add a medicine called HCTZ, for the edema. I take the lowest dose which is 12.5 mg. It's basically a water pill and some people take it for blood pressure. My BP is healthy too.

Last, I was at a MS seminar and the neurologist there had explained how the inflammation from the MS affects the lymphatic system (or vice versa, not sure of the chicken or egg) and can cause noticeable swelling.

I don't recall the specifics of how it works, I just know I was soooooo relieved as well to hear a doctor explain this bizarre phenomena that no one else besides me seemed to have not could explain.

Steroids also cause swelling so my dr and I are very cautious with those, and I do need to go on solu medrol often.

Hope this helps you some! And remember your face is ALWAYS face is beautiful with a SMILE!
                    There is always a rainbow!

Comment

Yes! I also have facial swelling.

I was actually really relieved to find out that someone else was experiencing this. Not that I want anyone to have to deal with it, but it is good to know I'm not alone. I would say that 2 or 3 days a week I wake up with swelling around my eyes. My lids and the area up to the eyebrow will swell. I will also have swelling below the eye and near the cheek bone. The skin will be very sensitive and it feels like a sunburn. Typically it's gone by the end of the day but my skin will be sore until the next day. It's really frustrating. I can't figure out what triggers it.

Originally posted by Loveboxers View Post
                      Has anyone experienced swelling in their face and around your eyes? I don't know why my face looks so swollen some days when I wake up. I can't connect a cause, but some days I get out of bed to get ready for work and my eyes are swollen and they will stay that way all day. I don't think it is food related, or medication related. It is certainly noticeable, and I am trying to keep my MS private at work, and visible symptoms like these make it increasingly more difficult.

I'm curious if anyone has any feedback from similar experiences, and if you happen to know why this may occur.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X