Very frustrating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very frustrating

hi everyone.....i have become very sensitive to noise....any ideas to what i should do for this problem?

I am. I can't say that it new or exclusively related to MS though. I find that I do better in big wide open spaces, small, intimate gatherings that get loud and I am done. So far I have made it through without offending or even letting anyone else know it's happening, but I suffer through it and am affected after.

I hope that someone can offer words of wisdom and tricks to help minimize the impact. (hugs)

Comment

I have a sensitivity to noise that comes and goes. When it is bad, it is BAD! I have no words of wisdom. I just try and stay away from people and TVs when it is happening to me. I would talk with your neurologist because you may be having some sort of an exacerbation if it is lasting more than a day. Perhaps they can provide some relief in the form of steroids.

Take care and feel better,
      Lisa
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

Personally I don’t have that but I did discover an article at “emaxhealth com” called “why-noise-can-be-pain-multiple-sclerosis” that may be helpful.
        It has some suggestion on How to deal with hyperacusis, “hyperacusis” being the medical name for sensitivity to noise.

With so many MS symptoms being exacerbated by inflammation, I would recommend taking note of your diet.
        AI: what did you eat and drink before the problem.
        For example; If a drink two sodas my optic-neuritis will flare-up.
        Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

When I have it, I use earplugs...the spongy kind. You can still hear a little (muffled as it may be) but the sound doesn't have the nails on the blackboard effect, or startle effect.

If it gets to the point where the dogs walking across the floor sounds like an elephants...I get out the noise cancelling earphones. Problem with these is you can't hear anything at all once you put them on.

I do not always have the sound sensitivity, at least the kind I think you're describing. It usually comes with a flare.

My "always" problem with noise has to do with prolonged loud noises, or lots of noises at once, is more of a disoriented feeling, feels like it throws off my balance. That happens during movies, or crowded restaurants, or crowds in general. I cope with this by trying to find a place on the "fringe" of the noise to sit, or eat...and movies, I just avoid till they come to my small screen

Hope you figure out a coping mechanism...or that it goes away soon.

Comment

mine is so bad I have to turn off my hearing aid when the furnace comes on because my hearing aid just beeps and screeches. I do not know why this happens, but I do know that my hearing loss is due to MS. I have a lesion right on my auditory nerve. The doctor ordered an MRI specifically of the that area.
            hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
            volunteer
            MS World
            hunterd@msworld.org
            PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Working...
            X