Experiences or advice for european cruise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experiences or advice for european cruise

Hi Ya'll - My hubby is retiring in about one month and we're planning a cruise to Europe to celebrate the occasion before my symptoms worsen. I am able to walk short distances but tire easily. My balance is bad and I can't stand too long.

We're looking into purchasing a light, foldable scooter (Luggie) to make the trip.

Does anyone have any experience with cruising with MS that might be helpful?

There is a company that you can contact that will provide handicapped equipment. It is delivered to your ship and is waiting in your room when you arrive. I've never used it (read about it on another forum), but the person who used it said it was great and highly recommended it. Use "the google" and search under "specialneedsatsea". It's under the listing with .com at the end.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks so much ru4cats - I appreciate the information. I'm super-excited about an adventure with my hubby, but admittedly am a little worried if it is going to be too much. I figure my symptoms are only going to get worse, so it's now or never. The good thing is on a cruise I'll be happy and comfortable onboard the ship even if I'm unable to go into port.

Comment

I can relate to the super-excited bit grammy. I'm on the countdown until our trip - 12 weeks today. We fly from NZ to Singapore then on to Barcelona where we get on a cruise ship for 12 nights in the Mediterranean, finishing in Venice. It's the cruise line's 50th anniversary - they are celebrating with a chocolate theme so I'm sure I'll think I've died and gone to heaven.

I too am a little worried about how I'll cope with it all, particularly from a heat and exhaustion perspective. Although I don't normally use a walking stick I've bought myself a collapsible trekking pole to take as I do find my balance goes haywire in crowds, and when tired. I promise not to hit anyone over the head lol.

Although I really hate being sick, I'm in the middle of another exacerbation at the moment so at least I shouldn't have to worry about being sick while I'm away.

Counting down!!

Poppy

Let me know which cruise you decide to take.

Comment

My experience with the airlines us that they are fabulous with disabled passengers. All you have to do is ask for a wheelchair for the terminal and an aisle hair to board and they will help you every step of the way. I imagine that the cruise lines will be equally helpful.

Enjoy Barcelona! It's my favorite city in the whole world.

The only advice I have for you is to sleep long hours when you can so you will be full of energy when it's time to get off the ship and see the world. Have a great time!

Comment

I've been on several cruises and have found the discussion forums at cruisecriticdotcom very helpful. There is a sub forum under "special interest" titled disabled travelers, or something like that. Several MS cruisers are active on the board and can give you specific advice concerning accessablility at various ports. Also will help with tour advice. Planning is so much part of the fun!

Paula

Comment

Many Thanks

You guys have given me some great information and reference sources. Thanks so much!

I think we have narrowed our choices to Princess - Princess Royal and Royal Caribbean sometime between May and September. Hopefully we'll book this month.

I welcome any other ideas you have to share including any port areas which had certain obstacles to be avoided.

Thanks again.....and remember to live life to the fullest that you can each and every day!

Comment

Working...
              X