X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elavil

Elavil Any body use this drug for pain and not depression

Hi DebRA.

Yes, in the 'early days' I was given elavil for pain. And neurotin also. I found that the 20 mg dosage of elavil was too much for me. I slept for the entire night and most of the next day! My neuro kept insisting that it was a LOW dose, but I began splitting them and it worked much better for me.

For me the combination of neurotin and elavil ensured a great nights sleep (no pain preventing sleep or waking me up from a sound sleep). The fact that it is an antidepressant was a plus for me since depression has always lurked in the background for me.

Comment

Many years ago I was prescribed Elavil for nerve pain thought to be a pinched nerve in my shoulder. I recall it making me sleep through my alarms. The only other side effect I had was bizarre dreams.
      Portia

Comment

I was on it for several years for pain, but it didn't reduce the pain for me. Recently switched to nortriptyline which is similar, but so far that hasn't helped either. Haven't had any side effects with either, so at least they haven't caused any problems. And they're also very inexpensive because they're fairly old drugs.
        PPMS
        Dx 07/13

Comment

I took Elavil off and on for 20 years. It helps the pain in the short term, long-term use, it is useless. For my issues of pain. Especially in the legs. fed

Comment

I use an Elavil prescription

Hi there,

I have fairly good pain control (for sleeping through the night) with 10 mg of Elavil and 240 mg of Lyrica. Elavil seems to increase the effectiveness of Lyrica. I am a VA patient and the pain management physician increased the dosage of Lyrica as well as adding Elavil after an initial evaluation and EMG/NCV studies, showing loss of a motor nerve in my left ankle and nerve damage from demyelination and neuropathy (from Hashimoto's thyroiditis). She is no longer with the VA ; however, and her replacement has been pretty sorry - no exam, eval, just continue with the meds.

Fortunately, they are still effective. Sometimes I feel too sedated, other times the pain may delay falling asleep, but sometimes all is just right. I only take these meds at night after dinner, or after coming home from social events. I hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
            X