Motel discrimination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motel discrimination

",kkö,kjjuhikkkjkI wonder what to do about this kind of thing. I stayed in a motel for the first time in many years. A month later I came back to the same motel and they told me I'm not their "DO NOT RENT LIST". This was horrifying. I've always maintained good relationships with the people I do business with. But Since I got MS it's been one thing after the other. I know we are protected by ADA laws but I've got so many people to sue, I can't possibly do them all.

I went on my first vacation in 17 years. It was wonderful to get on a plane again. I haven't dared traveled because of my allergies. My biggest allergy is to carpeting but dogs are second. The motel I selected was the only one that has rooms without carpeting. What I didn't know was that the motel converted the rooms to no carpet so that they could allow,dogs. It has become Dog Motel.

What happened is that I bought some cocoa butter and it required heating. The only way to heat it in the hotel room was a microwave. Once is was heated, it turn to a hot liquid. I took it out of the microwave to cool and my hands have very bad tremors so some of it spilled. It hardened on the floor so it was difficult to get off. I tried scraping some of it,but I didn't have the tools.

The motel manager was really angry. He accused me of burning candles in the room. "You used incendiary devices which is not permitted in this motel." He went on to say, "I know you like to sleep late but we do not have 24, hour room service." It was clear that he was painting an image if me as a drug addict that likes to burn candle and practice witchcraft all night and sleep all day.

When I called to make another reservation, he did not tell me I was on the "do not rent " list. I asked him if he had a room available for the dates I wanted to come and he said, "yes'" so I thought that would consist of a reservation.
    Y
    It's clear that I was being discriminated against because I stagger when I walk, I slur my speech and my hands shake. And, worst of all They seemed to be painting a picture of me from a California stereotype. My hands shake, I slur my speech, my balance is terrible even with a cane, and I sleep all day. 'Sounds like a drug addict to me.'

What should I do? I tried talking to them and they are refusing to discuss it. Suing takes so much energy. I'd rather spend my time doing things I enjoy.

Is it just me or are others with MS experiencing this thing of discrimination?

Yeah, no, don't know. Just never stay there again. And if they have a website, leave a suitable review.

Comment

Is the motel part of a chain? If so, I suspect that the corporate office would not be so pleased with the manager if they would hear from you regarding the treatment you received. I suspect you may even be offered a complimentary night at a motel of your choice, if it's in their chain. You could choose a different place to stay.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Firstly you should be looking for rooms that are set up for allergies and have a HEPA/UV-light Air Purifier system.
        That will counter any standard short carpeting that hotels use.

Personal I don’t have allergies, but I do have sinus issues and have found this great little product that I use at home and in my office.
        It uses UV light to sanitize the air, and for me it UV works much better then screen filters.

GermGuardian,GG1000 Pluggable UV-C Air Sanitizer with Odor Reduction

I’m sorry but your story just does not sound kosher.
        Cocoa butter is a cream and does not become hard and would need to be scraped off and it would easy to just say "sorry about the smell I spilled some cocoa butter on the floor by the microwave".
        MSers often get questioned about our sobriety and that is understandable, all we do is explain that we have MS and end of story.
        To me it is not clear they assumed you were doing witchcraft or a drug addict, just ignorant about MS.
        Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

What about the story doesn't sound kosher? The cocoa butter that I normally use is a cream but this one that they sold at the health foods store was truly solid as a rock. I wouldn't have bought it if they had let me open the jar and see the consistency of it. I had never seen it like this either.

I'm home now and look at my thread and see how many typos there are. I realize now how much stress I was under traveling.

The corporate office wasn't helpful either. It's so frustrating when I make a call in a situation like this. I try to explain my situation and instead of being the educated composed person I used to be I sound like a blubbering idiot. My brain is not connected to my speech anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
            Is the motel part of a chain? If so, I suspect that the corporate office would not be so pleased with the manager if they would hear from you regarding the treatment you received. I suspect you may even be offered a complimentary night at a motel of your choice, if it's in their chain. You could choose a different place to stay.
            Thank you, Mama. I called the corporate office again when I was home and calmer. I explained the situation again and the guy listened to me. The call ended with a complimentary nights stay at a motel anywhere in the country.

Comment

I'm glad it worked out to your satisfaction but agree that it doesn't sound like discrimination or targeting you as a drug addict so much as the manager being upset that you might have been using candles and damaged the floor and that he didn't want to deal with that kind of incident in the future. If they thought you were burning candles I wouldn't automatically think any kind of witchcraft thing but in any event that would be a huge safety hazard in a hotel so their concern makes sense to me.
              He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
              Anonymous

Comment

I’m also glad thing are working out for you palmtree, and regret the part of my post that was poorly thought-out and worded.
                I let my frustration with a new work project wrongfully carryover to my post, something is making me hypervigilant.
                It could be a MS thing, but I think its HR and some of my co-workers.

LOL, I’m now thinking the motel manager sounds a little hypervigilant also, or is it my hypervigilant making him sound that way?

Again glad to hear it is working out.
                Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Hi Sir,

You needn't explain anything. That's great that you are a CAD supervisor. I am an architect (at least I was). The stress of getting a project out is very familiar to me. Everything has to be perfect. There is no room for error. I remember once I got a door dimension wrong. The contractor built it according to the plans. The problem was that this dimension applied to the doors in the entire project. The client had to eat it and he wasn't too happy.

My boss tried to console me. He said,"if you aren't making mistakes, you aren't doing anything."

Regarding my motel discrimination. The whole thing was a misunderstanding. I called the motel manager yesterday ready to get my boxing gloves on. He told me, "you aren't on the 'do not rent' list. Everything is cool be you and me. After we talked I removed you from the 'do not rent' list. You can come and stay for a night free."

I was flabbergasted. Apparently the night clerk saw that on the computer and decided to give me the Nazi treatment.

Comment

Glad it worked out, PT. Management seems to usually understand customer service better than a random employee.
                    ~ Faith
                    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
                    X