MS in the workplace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS in the workplace

I am 22 years old and I am undergoing testing to be diagnosed. The doctors are pretty sure, but they have to follow up with some tests to confirm.
    I just graduated and am a certified Texas educator. I was wondering if anyone had thoughts concerning if I should tell me possible employers of my diagnosis or if the law required me to? I don't want to set myself up for being "watched" in the workplace because of my diagnosis (since it's so early I am not having debilitating effects yet) but if something happens and a relapse causes me to be out of work I don't want them to be surprised that it effects my work. I'm just really on the fence and don't know which way to lean.
    What works best for you? What would you suggest?

I don't know regarding laws but I think it would be best to keep it to yourself as long as you can. You could end up having a mild form of MS & it my be a very long time before it effects your career. If you tell them now it will start to effect your career NOW... My 2'cents.

Comment

Federal labor laws prohibit employers from asking about applicants or employees medical history or basing hiring decisions on medical condition/dx.

However, if a job applicant discusses protected medical info or discloses medical dx during a job interview, there is a possibility of not being a good 'fit' for the job.

Newly hired employees can have an auto accident requiring time off work, or become ill with any number of illnesses that require time for recovery. No one can predict the future even with a MS dx.

Best of luck in your job search.

Comment

Unless you need a job accommodation, I wouldn't disclose. The NMSS website has good information on when/why/how to disclose.

While it is illegal to discriminate, it still happens and can be tough to prove.

I would worry about relapse when it occurs. I actually worked thru 3 relapses and other than red face from steroids, no one noticed a thing. So you don't know when and how severe it will be.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I'm required to have a pre-employment physical which I do after I have received a formal offer of employment. I disclose to them because I get benefits through my employer and don't want to risk being fired for lying but I do not ever tell anyone in my work area.

So far as I can tell I have done this at 4 jobs since being diagnosed and it doesn't appear it has been leaked to my managers or coworkers. Good luck!
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

Jules, curious why you're required to take a pre-employment medical exam? DOL? has limited pre-employment medical exams to employment involving public safety, such as airline pilots and other public transportation come to mind.

Comment

I've had MS for 37 years and I've been teaching for over 30 years. I didn't disclose until I needed to (had to use a cane all the time for a while). Me assistant principal has cancer as have about 5 teachers at my school. Don't worry about it (or disclose it). Hopefully, you'll never have to.

Comment

Working...
              X