Strong pain in left arm...freaking out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strong pain in left arm...freaking out

Would someone please help me or tell me what might be going on?
    I've had R/R MS for about ten years & am having a small relapse.
    This evening my left arm (dominant arm/hand) has for the FIRST time become oddly sore, almost like a severe sprain, but it is throughout my entire arm.
    The pain is so severe, I am considering going to the ER.
    It is frightening as I have never experienced this & am surprised by the severity of the pain.
    I don't know what to think. I am not paging my neurologist, as it is midnight & I think (hope) it's nothing. Maybe it is a typical MS symptom that I haven't experienced or am familiar with.
    Does anyone have any knowledge about this or have experienced it as well? Thank-you for any help. Please excuse my panic.
    Hunter

Science without Religion Is Lame, Religion without Science Is Blind. - Albert Einstein

Hi Hunter - it's late and not as many people are here now, but my advice is to go to the ER if the pain is that severe! It could be anything.

Please keep us informed as to how you are doing. OK? Hope you feel better
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I don't have a way to get to the ER & I can't afford an ambulance.
      Hunter

Science without Religion Is Lame, Religion without Science Is Blind. - Albert Einstein

Comment

Can you call a cab?
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Or is there a neighbor that can take you there?

Comment

Unfortunately, no. I am going to lay down, attempt to relax, see how I am in the morning, and get ahold of my neuro as soon as her office opens. Hopefully, more people will see this thread and share any alike experiences. Thank you for responding and your concern.
            Hunter

Comment

Forget the taxi, call an ambulance.

Comment

If you are in a flare and it is a stabbing or burning pain...it could possibly be damage to your nerve. It may or may or may not remit.

You need to call your Neuro and let them know. If it is MS...the damage is done, but there are meds that can control the symptom.
                Katie
                "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                "My MS is a Journey for One."
                Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

How are you doing today Hunter? Did you manage to get in touch with anyone this morning?

Comment

If it's like a sprain type pain it could be an MS symptom. I've just been through a few days of this and was initially told it was 'cramp' by my PCP and to take Magnesium etc. This of course didn't work so I increased the Gabapentin and now have complete relief.

Comment

Hi Hunter,

Wondering how you are doing? Did you get ahold of your neuro? The first time my arm hurt like that was during a big flare. My hand also went into a fist. Neither had happened to me before. In my case, it turned out to be spasticity, brought on because of my flare.

I hope you got some answers and your pain is better, today.

Please update us when you can.
                      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Arm pain

It could be from a number of things. A frozen shoulder can cause that type but it is often from so me type of fall. I've had that twice. Spinal Stenosis can also cause it. I have that from having to walk with two canes for 40 years. Both of those can make you miserable. kihbopeit improves for you fast.

Lois

Comment

I've had sudden onset extreme pain like that in my left arm before. I've had it in my right ankle so bad it was the worst pain I ever felt, way worse then if it was broken but it passed in about 48hrs. I'm guessing this will pass for you as well.

Left arm pain is also a sign of a heart attack so it is best to get checked out if your unsure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale76 View Post

Left arm pain is also a sign of a heart attack so it is best to get checked out if your unsure.
                            Hey Dale,

I agree about the left arm pain.

If I were having left arm pain that I had not experienced before, I'd be wanting to get my heart checked out. This would be especially true since I am a woman. Heart attack symptoms can manifest themselves in different ways than classic chest pain when you're a woman.

But I totally understand where Hunter was coming from...we have so many weird pains coming and going, it always seems practical to take a wait and see attitude.

However, we have members on this forum who experienced strokes because they thought what they were experiencing was just MS. Better to be safe than sorry....that cliche works in these cases.

Comment

No update here.... anyone else worried?

Comment

Working...
                              X