Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Devic's Disease

Hello All,

I'm active duty AF member who was recently diagnosed with the Devic's disease. I'm currently going through MEB process. I have viewed other people posts who have been diagnosed with MS and have returned to duty. My current AFSC is administration. Based upon my research Devic's is a rare disorder which is an unusual variant to MS. I don't know anyone with this disease who was returned to Active Duty. Does anyone know the disability rating for this disease. I'm schedule to start my treatment of IV rituxan at local hospital next week. I have over 13yrs of active duty service.

Hello Curious123 and welcome to MSWorld.

In the Related Disorders Forum you will find discussions about Neuromyelitis Optica (NMO, aka Devic's Disease):
    http://www.msworld.org/forum/forumdi...evic-s-Disease

NMO (Devics) was once known as a MS variant but that is no longer the case NMO is a separate disease. NMO is treated differently than Multiple Sclerosis.

You may want to visit The Guthy Jackson Foundation: http://www.guthyjacksonfoundation.org/
    They do have a forum community that can help answer questions about NMO. Although MSWorld does have members with NMO those members are not necessarily around all the time.

Take care and best wishes.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi Curious123~ Welcome to MSWorld! We do have a sub-forum here about Devic's that you might find helpful http://www.msworld.org/forum/forumdi...evic-s-Disease.

I am going to move your thread over to our Military Veterans (both active and retired) Forum in hopes someone there can answer your question about the disability rating.

Hope all goes well with your Rituxan IV next week and thanks for your service! My dad and brother are now retired AF.
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

MEB and disability

Sorry it took awhile for you to get an answer, however I wanted to do some research first before I provided you some answers. I am currently a Flight Med Physician Assistant and spent some time today researching the data. It appears that the Air Force lumps Devic's disease in with other neurology/autoimmune disorder, such as MS, it is not listed separately anywhere. The blanket disability percentage for MS is 30%. If you want to stay in the Air Force it is possible, there are currently about 120 people in all services that were able to remain on duty--me being one of those. Make sure you let your medical provider know what your priorities are, if you don't feel like you are capable of safely completing your duties, be honest. If you think you can meet all requirements other than deployment, have a good talk with your CC, AFPC medical boards put a lot of weight on their recommendation. Let me know if you have additional questions.

Comment

Devic's Disease

Thank you all for your quick response.

Update: After I posted to the forum, last week I got my official notification to returned to duty with assignment C code. I'm was surprised about the good news. This week I started my first treatment of Rituxan for Devic's disease. I wondered why there is not a disability rating for such a chronic disease. Does anyone have any medical side/experience effects long or short term they could share about this drug, rituxan?

Comment

Devic'S Disease

Hello All,

I received my treatment of rituxan about a month and half ago. I took my blood test about two weeks ago and the results were in normal range. Does this mean I'm in remission? I still do experience numbness and tingling up and down my arms as well as neck pain. I requested a referral to see an a new neurologist who is specializes in this rare disease. I'm scheduled to do an MRI this week for a brain and spinal cord MRI with contrast. Is there a possibility I got still experience an acute attack? I appreciate any feedback. Thanks

Comment

Hi Curious:

Devic's disease -- more properly now called neuromyelitis optica or NMO -- is a different disease than MS, is treated differently than MS and has different expectations and progressions/prognoses than MS.

Because of that, it isn't a good idea to be asking about NMO on an MS forum. You can't get proper information about NMO on a forum about a different disease. You might as well be asking your mailman about it.

Earlier in this thread, a poster gave you very good advice by directing you to the Guthy-Jackson Charitable Foundation website. It's in your best interest to get your information about NMO on that site and talk to people in their forum. The foundation has access to the experts who research and treat NMO. The MS community does not.

Here's that link again: www.guthyjacksonfoundation.org.

I wish you all the best on your NMO journey.

Comment

Originally posted by AF PA View Post
                Sorry it took awhile for you to get an answer, however I wanted to do some research first before I provided you some answers. I am currently a Flight Med Physician Assistant and spent some time today researching the data. It appears that the Air Force lumps Devic's disease in with other neurology/autoimmune disorder, such as MS, it is not listed separately anywhere. The blanket disability percentage for MS is 30%. If you want to stay in the Air Force it is possible, there are currently about 120 people in all services that were able to remain on duty--me being one of those. Make sure you let your medical provider know what your priorities are, if you don't feel like you are capable of safely completing your duties, be honest. If you think you can meet all requirements other than deployment, have a good talk with your CC, AFPC medical boards put a lot of weight on their recommendation. Let me know if you have additional questions.
                AF PA, you always come through! Thank-you.

Curious...retired AF Personnel Officer here. Stay in as long as you physically can. You will need the full retirement and medical benefits. I wish you the best of luck and hopefully Rituxan puts the halt to your Devics Disease.

MSers are not real familiar with Rituxan right now, and it is only being used in trials and for compassionate use. You would probably indeed be better joining the Guthry Jackson Website as recommended by Snoopy and JRegan. But if you have military or VA Disability Questions...please come back here...most of the info given in this forum is pretty accurate.
                Katie
                "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                "My MS is a Journey for One."
                Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
                X