New Study Results: Women with MS have Lower Levels of Important Nutrients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Study Results: Women with MS have Lower Levels of Important Nutrients

FRIDAY, Feb. 20, 2015 (HealthDay News) -- Women with multiple sclerosis (MS) have lower levels of important antioxidant and anti-inflammatory nutrients than those without the disease, new research finds. The study included 27 white women with MS, aged 18 to 60, and a "control" group of 30 age-matched healthy white women.

On average, the MS patients had lower levels of five antioxidant or anti-inflammatory nutrients: folate from food, vitamin E, magnesium, lutein-zeaxanthin and quercetin.

More details can be found here:
    http://www.webmd.com/multiple-sclero...ients-in-women

Originally posted by Marco View Post
    FRIDAY, Feb. 20, 2015 (HealthDay News) -- Women with multiple sclerosis (MS) have lower levels of important antioxidant and anti-inflammatory nutrients than those without the disease, new research finds. The study included 27 white women with MS, aged 18 to 60, and a "control" group of 30 age-matched healthy white women.

On average, the MS patients had lower levels of five antioxidant or anti-inflammatory nutrients: folate from food, vitamin E, magnesium, lutein-zeaxanthin and quercetin.

More details can be found here:
    http://www.webmd.com/multiple-sclero...ients-in-women
    Hey Marco,

Thanks for posting. And once again it comes down to the real question, as noted in the 2nd part of the headline:

"But researchers aren't sure whether differences are cause or effect of inflammatory disease"

The same situation as with Vitamin D...does a person's low Vit D level cause MS, or does MS cause low Vitamin D levels, for one reason or another (avoiding the sun,etc.)

Of course now they say the whole world (slight exaggeration ) has low Vit D....and not that many have MS, so the "cause" argument loses it's position.

Don't take this wrong, because I enjoyed the article, and you are the messenger, not the message...but betcha "dollars to donuts" I will have this study mentioned to me by at least 3 people I know.

I've decided that those who send these kind of links to me use it as a sort of self protection mechanism. In their minds..."see this is why they got MS...and if I make sure I take enough Vitamin E, magnesium, etc, then I won't get MS." I always thank my "informers" for the article or link, but especially with this one, for someone diagnosed, "the horse is already out of the barn."

But on a side note, it's interesting that once you have MS, the Vitamin E becomes a questionable supplement. Since it's an antioxidant, there are those in the camp of "take it" it will help reduce free radicals and thus reduce damage to the nerve cells, and on the other side of the argument, there's the "don't take it" camp because it boosts the autoimmune system and in an MS patient the thing you don't want to do is boost the immune system, it's over activity is the problem.

One part of the article...the MS women had a lower percentage of calories from fat, that's interesting, I wonder why that is?

Comment

I'm with you rdmc. It seems like when a new study comes out, a few years later another one comes out debunking the previous one. Just recently they've decided some cholesterol is good, as is coffee and even some "good" fat.

I've decided to do what I feel is best for me; Vit. D and Fish oil are the only supplements I take. Do they help? I have no idea, but they're the ones I'm more confident in possibly helping. I tried many others, but I got tired of taking so many, and the research was sketchy on their help.

However, I do appreciate all the information Marco brings us. I don't know where he finds it, but he does and does all of us a service with his insight.

Comment

You could make a reasoned case for both points of view. I like to think that if staying healthy is the goal, then there is probably a 'winning' system to accomplish that end.
        Take, for instance, a person baking a cake. The ingredients must be put into the mix in precise measurements, and so on. The oven must have consistent temperature. The baking time must be correct. The cake must not be disturbed or shaken or jostled.

Emeril says baking is more precise than cooking on the stove top because stove top cooking can be constantly adjusted. Baking can't be messed with.

I think that this debate about vitamins is similar to baking. If the body does not continuously possess the 'optimum' quantity of the correct materials in the correct amounts, under certain conditions, the body will malfunction. Having an excess of some of these materials, may sometimes produce problems. Not having enough may sometimes cause problems in some unlucky people.

I believe that vitamin D deficiency is epidemic. Low vitamin D isn't the sole missing ingredient in unraveling the MS mystery. Like almost everything, the disease requires a system of items to malfunction to become full blown MS. So, if I have the choice to spend my money on vitamins with the possibility to avoid major disease, I'll take that chance.

Comment

Hi rdmc,

Originally posted by rdmc View Post
          But on a side note, it's interesting that once you have MS, the Vitamin E becomes a questionable supplement. Since it's an antioxidant, there are those in the camp of "take it" it will help reduce free radicals and thus reduce damage to the nerve cells, and on the other side of the argument, there's the "don't take it" camp because it boosts the autoimmune system and in an MS patient the thing you don't want to do is boost the immune system, it's over activity is the problem.
          I have always had a problem with the premise that those with MS should not boost the immune system. We are told to eat a healthy diet and to exercise...which boosts the immune system . Many of us take a multi-vitamin and some supplements which has the blessings of our Neurologists and...boosts the immune system
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Personally I'm exhausted physically due to MS, and tired of the supplement, vitamin D, suppress the immune system or boost it, whatever the latest trendy theory that's going to stop my progression and improve my MS, sx, when even the 4 DMTs I've been on, only one has resulted in improvement of some sx's, while progression continues by leaps and bounds. All while I pay through the anus, feeling like I'm being "played' like a lab experiment.

Sorry if I've offended anyone, I'm frustrated after 15yrs and I'm either progressing or aging out of the next big MS breakthrough.

Comment

Originally posted by MSW1963 View Post
              Personally I'm exhausted physically due to MS, and tired of the supplement, vitamin D, suppress the immune system or boost it, whatever the latest trendy theory that's going to stop my progression and improve my MS, sx, when even the 4 DMTs I've been on, only one has resulted in improvement of some sx's, while progression continues by leaps and bounds. All while I pay through the anus, feeling like I'm being "played' like a lab experiment.

Sorry if I've offended anyone, I'm frustrated after 15yrs and I'm either progressing or aging out of the next big MS breakthrough.
              Same here - except change to "after 20+ years" ...

BTW - Marco thanks for the posts. I always read your posts and try to muster up enough energy to grab some of the hope that 'they' keep trying to push. But as MSW1963 said I am getting tired of feeling like a rat in a maze - running around trying to find the cheese / CURE.

Comment

Marco, my apologies for hijacking your post and informative link you provided, with my self indulgent rant. You always provide good info and links to reputable sites.

To everyone else, I also apologies for my crude remark.

Having a bad week/month/year/decade and losing hope, but not to worry, I always seem to bounce back.

msagijo, sorry to hear you are in the same dark place +20yrs. Hugs and good wishes coming your way.

Comment

Working...
                X