New research on disease progression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New research on disease progression

The Department of Neuroimmunology at the MedUni Vienna, has for the first time documented the pathological progress of the disease from its early to late stage and also shown that inflammatory and neurodegenerative processes have a role to play. This raises the possibility of new treatment options.

Until now, there have been two approaches to categorizing the condition: the first approach regards MS as a disease of the nervous system that is inflammatory throughout, with the inflammation also being responsible for the subsequent neurodegenerative damage. The second approach postulates that the disease ultimately progresses from an inflammatory condition into a neurodegenerative one. In their current paper however, the team of researchers has demonstrated that multiple sclerosis is comprised of both factors - and that the inflammatory process acts as a "driving force" from the onset right to the end, and that neurodegenerative processes also occur in the so-called progressive, late phase that damage the brain.

Additional information can be read here:
    http://www.meduniwien.ac.at/homepage...3f749425b880e4

Thanks Marco. I had read before where they thought the disease had two different stages related to progression, so looks like on the right track.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Interesting article. When I was last in for my Ty the pharmacist talked with me about how many good drugs were on the horizon for MS. I am sure she was talking about this one for sure.

Thanks Marco!
      Lisa
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

Thanks Marco for the infor.
        God Bless Us All

Comment

So Marco, I have to ask 'how does this information coincide with the idea that progressive form, PPMS, SPMS are somehow different than Relapsing Remitting MS'? I do not quite understand how doctors and researchers and such make a big deal out of the differences in the presentation of the disease. And this whole question that I just posted may be completely off base.

Comment

Working...
          X