Potential new drug to block MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential new drug to block MS

Researchers in Dublin have led an international study identifying a remarkable drug that may be able to block major diseases such as multiple sclerosis (MS), alzheimer’s, rheumatoid arthritis and most other inflammatory conditions.
    Initial tests show it could instantly block MS and the effects of blood poisoning in mouse models. It also halted a rare inflammatory disease called Muckle-Wells syndrome using human blood samples as a test.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/scien...osis-1.2106209

Wow!

Pretty impressive information. Some prayers for the researchers while we wait.

Thanks for something uplifting Marco!

Jer

Comment

Aww, geez, c'mon Marco. Do you mean 'promising' new drug because 'potential' isn't used that much to build hype. Any good news is always welcome news.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
        Aww, geez, c'mon Marco. Do you mean 'promising' new drug because 'potential' isn't used that much to build hype. Any good news is always welcome news.
        Jerry - I really had not thought about it. We all know there are not 100 compounds in development that will become blockbuster drugs. Heck, maybe 5-10% will even make it to market.Maybe compounds should be listed by the stage of human trials they are in.
        • Phase 1: Possible
        • Phase 2: Potential
        • Phase 3: Promising

Then again, let the media tell the story and MS was cured 45 times in the past 10 years.

Comment

Thanks Marco. It would be amazing if one drug targetting one inflammatory process could halt so many diseases.

Appreciate your update, as always.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I so badly want to believe this is the real deal. It could very well be, but Googling "MCC950" yields other articles on this from various sources, and they say the discovery was a "molecule", not a "drug" as this article calls it. Not being a chemist, I couldn't say for sure, but I'd guess that those are not necessarily the same things. That doesn't mean it couldn't lead to The Big One that we've all been hoping for, but I kind of think this might be a lot more preliminary and theoretical at this point than how the article portrays it.

I'm such a buzz kill. Sorry.
            PPMS
            Dx 07/13

Comment

Working...
            X