MS causes everything

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS causes everything

So I ended up in the ER last week (total overkill but I was only taking the suggestion of the dr at the urgent care clinic I went to first) when I had really bad abdominal pain with vomiting and diarrhea. I did feel like I wanted to die, although I admit I'm a big baby when I'm sick and it wasn't as bad as I know I may have acted like.

Anyway, the first thing the dr said when he came into my room was that he saw a dr had been working me up for possible MS. That was two years ago and had absolutely nothing to do with why I ended up in there. So from the very start, he was already thinking my MS had something to do with why I felt so bad. He did go ahead and take some blood and run a UA, but he wasn't about to run any further tests because it must be a med side effect if everything came out normal. It is possible I had a UTI (would have been very easy for a contaminated specimen with the diarrhea I had though) so I got an antibiotic and he sent me on my way.

When I went in there, I had just started Gilenya 2 1/2 weeks prior, so I could see it having something to do with that, but that dr was suggesting it was the MS before he even found out I just started a new med. That really bothers me. Does this mean every time I get sick, they're just going to put it on the MS and send me on my way, even if it doesn't sound like a neuro issue at all? That's ridiculous. People with MS can have other issues too! I guess I hope that never happens to me though because it'll easily be missed

I know others have had this happen to them. Is the ER really as bad as the experience I just had for every MS patient?
    Diagnosed 1/4/13
    Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

So yes sometimes MS, like smoking and obesity can sometimes become the end of the line for further investigation and of course there are good and bad providers in every arena. My experience in the ED, and I'm not saying this is fair or right, is that if you said you were acting like a "baby" compared to the actual level of your acuity it is likely they blew you off a bit especially if they were also caring for patients who were experiencing true emergencies.

What other tests did you feel they needed to run? If you presented with those symptoms and the labs were clinically unremarkable there probably isn't anything else I would have ordered based on your description of symptoms. If it makes you feel any better it is fairly easy to discern the difference between a UTI and a dirty urine sample so hopefully antibiotics were indicated and helpful.

Feel better soon!
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

Let me clarify that. When I say I tend to be a baby when I'm sick, that's at home. I wasn't doing that when I went for treatment. It did hurt pretty bad and I felt like I wanted to die, but I do realize it could have been worse. I just don't tolerate pain very well. I don't like to be needy when I go get medical treatment though, so I wasn't going to make a huge deal of it while I was there. Of course, it was bad enough that I felt like something was wrong and needed to be done.

This whole situation was actually pretty stupid from a medical standpoint though. I went to urgent care since my pcp couldn't get me in, and they took an inaccurate blood pressure and instead of rechecking it manually, sent me to the ER for the abdominal pain and a really high blood pressure that actually wasn't nearly as elevated as they thought.

Anyway, my whole point was that the dr labeled my pain as an MS problem before even looking at me. That is what I don't like. If I think I'm having an MS problem, I'll call my neuro, not show up at the ER. And for the record, by finding a uti, that is not an MS problem, proving that his assumption was wrong. Lesson learned, next time I'll wait the extra day and just see my pcp, who won't automatically assume my MS is causing whatever it is I'm in there for.
      Diagnosed 1/4/13
      Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Comment

If he had dismissed it as only MS without running labs absolutely I would say he was out of line but whether he assumed it was MS pain or not he followed through with diagnostics and treatment. I'm sorry he made you feel like he was minimizing your symptoms or jumped to the conclusion initially that it was caused by MS but he did his job.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Working...
        X