Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really need an answer pls

Hi all,
    I posted recently about beginning tegretol. I noticed that there were over 100 views but not one response. I guess no one had the experience I was asking about. Maybe someone has had this experience.
    I began tegretol last Saturday and ALL of my symtoms disappeared for 5 or 6 days. NOtt one symptom. Now I seem to be having symptims again, not all of them tho. I was originally getting vision distortion (dizziness) along with electric shock feeling in my arm. Now all of a sudden I seem to be gettin just the vision thing w/o the feeling in my arm. Is it possible to have less of the symptoms return. Maybe dosage needs to be upped? I'm taking 100 mg 2x a day.
    April

April,

I would love to be able to give you some kind of answer, but I just don't know anything about this drug. Never heard of it until I saw your post.

It sounds like you are getting some positive effects (which is GREAT). I hope it works for you.

Comment

Thanks msgijo, I appreciate you acknowledging my post. Hopefully someone will have some sort of experience with a drug that works, then stops
      April

Comment

I do not know anything about this medication, I am only here to offer my hopes that you get a reply that answers any questions you have.
        hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
        volunteer
        MS World
        hunterd@msworld.org
        PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

thank you hunterd. I'm feeling frustrated as you can probably tell (you answered my other thread too, thank you)
          April

Comment

Hi April,

Sorry to hear about your symptoms. Your frustration about finding answers is understandable. Thanks for asking your question here. We learn a lot from other people's experiences. Your post might help someone else, too.

But, please don't take offense that no one has been able to answer it yet. Many times, we don't know whether or not we really have an answer until we've actually read the entire post. And anyone who may have a similar experience may not even see your post and respond for quite awhile. You'd be surprised at how many times replies pop up months, sometimes years later, to a post.

I did try Tegretol several years ago. I had to stop taking it after I broke out in a rash. Because of the timing, it was attributed to the drug.

There are also some people build up a tolerance to medications that once worked for them. Usually, it takes a bit longer than a few days, but everyone is different and you may be an exception. What I read from rx.com is "a tolerance may develop to the action of carbamazepine after a few months of treatment and should be watched for."

I also think it's possible it was just a coincidence your symptoms abated when you first started the medication. Or, maybe you would respond better to a larger dose? You might just have to try that to see if it helps. If the same thing happened again, you and your doctors would know you are developing a tolerance to it.

Unfortunately, there's not always a clear cut answer, even from the medical community. There are also responders and non responders to drugs. Trial and error may be the only way anyone can figure out what's going on with your body or will work for you. I think the best advice anyone could offer was to talk to your doctors. Please let us know what you find out.

Good luck ,
            Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thank you Kimba )
              April

Comment

Working...
              X