Getting to the root of MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting to the root of MS

To read about an effort to stop MS progression, I found this in the latest edition of NeurologyNow. Type on the address line, bit.ly/myelinMS. It's an interesting article about one of the theories to find a treatment for this MonSter. I will not used the word 'promising'. I will say interesting.

Thanks for this Jerry - the full article is here http://patients.aan.com/resources/ne...01410060-00022

You're right - it is interesting. The drug mentioned, MRF-008, is already used to treat hypertension and appears to stimulate remyelination in animal models. It will probably takes years for clinical trials on humans.

Wish I could live that long. It also mentions that the ability of the brain to remyelinate axons declines with age. At 65 and SPMS, I'm not holding my breath!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Yes it is interesting...and one of those very rare things that seems to address progressive forms. Of course the best thing would be if it helped all forms, but how refreshing to see something that might actually work better for us instead of the usual "Lookie, a great new treatment, but oops not for you, progressive MSers!"
      PPMS
      Dx 07/13

Comment

Again, I would normally whine about 'promises' made and not kept. But, to be fair, the drug is in investigational status. And it is being repurposed as it is currently approved to treat hypertension. So that means that a drug company could 'investigate' the use of aspirin or Rogaine or codeine to treat progressive MS.
        I hope this MRF-008 turns into something good for MS, soon. It will be the answer to my prayers.

Comment

I don't pray for a cure. I would pray for a miracle instant reboot like the computer boy pulled off for me the other month, but as they say, "Don't ask 'why me?', ask 'why not me?"

At some stage, they'll figure MS out, like smallpox and leprosy. I doubt I'll be here to see it.

That's okay.
          We all die one day. And with any luck, St Peter will give bonus points for having endured a wee tad of pain and suffering.

Comment

I love your reply, Thinkimjob. I like your reference to St.Peter. I had a visit from my priest,some time ago. He said something that will never leave my memory. Father Sal said " You just have to have faith. Just keep believing". That was pretty profound.

Comment

Working...
            X