Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something NEW I never experienced!

Hi all!

I am finding in this friged cold weather in MI my symptoms seem more larger than life. Something that has never happened before. I was lying in bed on my side trying to nurse a painful pressure ulcer and my left toes started cramping as if I was going to go into a charley horse and ALL my toes just spread and remained in that position for a period if time. ANNNNNNNNNNNNND, one other thing I got a little freaked out at was my left thumb has been locking up on me now and then. I try to move my fingers around. Anybody else have this???? Or any suggestions??? Laying so much trying to help this pressure ulcer is taking forever...........and you have to stay off of it so I'm more stiff and getting fraustrated. Hope all is well with everyone. Look forward hearing from you.

Susie Q.

Diagnosed 6-28-14
    RRMS
    Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Awe Susie Q. I am sorry you are having such a rough time. Cold is worse for me than the heat and I live in a warm climate. I get a bone chill and nothing fixes it but a hot shower. I would suggest a heating pad for your toes and foot.

Good luck and feel better!

Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

My thumb locks up, it's called trigger thumb. It can happen to a finger as well, then it's called trigger finger It can lock open, or it can lock closed, both are from the same problem, it's
      an inflammation of the sheath that surrounds the tendon at the base of the thumb or finger.

Mine results from a hand that tends to curl up, and the solution is to try to keep the hand from
      curling by using a hand splint or thumb splint...and if it's painful, go see an orthopedic doctor and they can give you an injection in the finger or thumb...problem is, while the shot is effective, at least in my case, it only lasts for about 3 months...so I went the splinting route and I avoid the shots. Worst case scenario, if neither of those approaches work is to have surgery to release the tendon.

As far as cold and spasms, I can only imagine how those in cold weather are affected. I'm in Florida and if the temp drops below 50 degrees F, I can feel my body stiffen.

Here's a link about trigger thumb:
      http://www.braceability.com/thumb-in.../trigger-thumb

Comment

I had lots of painful, stiff and loss of function/paralysis I my index and middle fingers. Eventually I mentioned the problem to my MS doc. He explained that those two fingers indicated a problem in a specific section along the spinal cord?, sorry, wish I could recall my doc's explanation exactly, but I just don't remember.

You can search images/illustrations of the spinal cord and it's relationship to the peripheral nerves that effect your finger sx's. If I remember correctly my sx's in my fingers were c-spine related, but it was a long time ago. Mine was most severe when my daughter was taking horse riding lessons and I spent the 2hrs in my cold car during her lessons. It was predictable and related to exposure to cold temps.

Sorry you are experiencing this new sx, and I hope it resolves VERY soon.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Diagnosed 6-28-14
          RRMS
          Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

Working...
          X