Evolked Potential Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evolked Potential Test

I have been told to do a evolked potential test of my limbs, can anyone give me any feedback on this test? Thanks

Evoked Potential Test

I would recommend that you google the above phrase. There is a lot of information which describes the test etc. The correct spelling is evoked without the letter "l".

Comment

Hi camelgirl

I have been told to do a evolked potential test of my limbs
      I am wondering if you are referring to an EMG
      http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-proc...n/prc-20014183
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Evoked potentials

This test is super easy. Like having an EKG. They stick little patches to you and then are able to determine if signals are getting through. You just lie down. I forget if I was sitting for any.
        But, it is no problem. I had mine early on when they were first diagnosing me.
        The test showed problems in many areas that did not actually become symptoms for years.

Hope that helps a bit.
        "Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Currently on rituxan

Comment

Evoked Potentials are a set of three tests.

1. VEP: Visual evoked potential where you look at a TV with one eye covered at a time and then both eyes open looking at a red dot against what is called a reverse checkerboard pattern, in short: the background black and white checkerboard moves while you try to stare at the red dot. This tests for any evidence of optic neuritis.

2. BAER: Brainstem Auditory Evoked Response is a test that involves them placing EEG probes on your head and then putting ear buds in your ears and the technician manually puts in a series of beeps in your ears (usually one at a time). This tests for underlying brainstem lesions.

3. SEP: Somatosensory evoked potentials is a test that involves the technician placing probes on your head again-or still as they leave them there (BTW-bring a hat that day-it isn't pretty), they then put stickers on your arms and legs like the prior poster said, give you a sedative and leave the room dark hoping you will sleep because it is not comfortable, especially if you have spinal lesions which this looks for.

All evoked potentials work in the way of looking for a delay in response from your nerves to a instigation of a shock or in the case of VEP, a need for the eye to focus.

I hope your testing goes well. The physician usually gets the results the same day, just like an MRI. If trouble is seen, and MRI is next. If you have already had an MRI and it was negative this just may give supportive evidence along with an LP.

Good luck
          Lisa
          Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
          SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
          Tysabri

Comment

Hi camelgirl,

Additional information about this test can also be found here: http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...ked-Potentials

Good luck with your test. ,
            Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thank you

I feel more informed and ready for this test. I hope there isn't too much sedation as I need to get myself home, and I'm not able to take anyone. This test came form my neurosurgeon, and I'm a bit afraid of the possible results... i'm thinking positive

Comment

Working...
              X