Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long does MS symptoms progress?

Hello,

I am a Junior member with this question: How long does MS symptoms progress? I was diagnosed with MS at 47. I am now 58. I am in physical therapy since November of last year and my physical therapist said I will need to use a four-wheeled walker from here on out. I deal with balance and tremor issues. My right side is weaker also.

Last year I had DBS surgery due to my debilitating tremors. I am still getting my tune-ups every 3 months.

I deal with fatigue and double vision. I also have bladder urgency problems. I have difficulty is finding words that deal with objects, so I pause a lot when speaking.

I feel blessed to have done so well, but having to use a walker is a sadness due to some loss in mobility.

I am working on staying positive by being involved with Church activities, doing puzzles, painting when I can and doing the best to take care of our home.

Hopefully, someone can give me some insight. Thank you

DMae,

I don't have any easy answers, but I believe progression continues once the demyelination process has begun. To complicate matters, my neurologist reminded me that as we age, the normal aging process includes demyelination among other wonderful new experiences.

I was where you were with using a 4-wheeled walker (rollator). I resisted for as long as I could but after two terrible falls, I gave in. I also have a 3-wheeled rollator I purchased 1st but never used. However, now I use it in the house to transport items from room to room, and I have made great use of it at the local grocery store. I've found I can fill the center bag with items and even hang those plastic bags off the handles for extra storage. I figure everyone just says, "Here comes that crazy MS lady again." However, I've also found everyone couldn't be kinder or more helpful. It's been an adjustment, but there are so many worse things in life, that I'm happy I can still be mobile.

Aging is an adjustment, and MS just adds to the challenges. Best of luck.

Comment

Hello DMae ,

Unfortunately, there is no definitive answer

Progression can be different for each person. Some have very little progression, some have a lot and everything in between. There is also no time frame

Hopefully your Neurologist is proactive in treating your symptoms.

I am working on staying positive by being involved with Church activities, doing puzzles, painting when I can and doing the best to take care of our home.
      I think that is wonderful!

Take care
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Working...
      X