Beating insomnia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beating insomnia

Is there any way to kick the insomnia symptom without taking prescriptions? I've been on things like Ambien, Clonazepam, Lorazepam, Neurontin etc for several years ( on and off ). But now I have dry mouth which led to periodontal disease.

I knew the meds were causing dry mouth, but never thought of the repercussions. I just knew I HAD to get some sleep. I have several autoimmune diseases which all cause insomnia. Felt like I had no choice but to take something.

I've tried Melatonin. Sometimes it helps other times... no.

Need some suggestions to sleep and to get off the meds.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

I think some of the insomnia battle especially for people who are not able to be physically and mentally active during their days is acceptance. The more we focus, worry and ruminate over sleep woes the worse they will feel. It makes perfect sense that if we aren't active during the day that we aren't going to sleep well at night especially when we have a miserable disease like MS lurking over our shoulders causing pain, depression and anxiety.

If for example someone had a high power job they need to be alert and functioning for or would be driving an 18 wheeler on the highway the next day the concern over lack of sleep would go up but this is more the exception rather than the rule in my experience.

Napping during the day is something I frequently hear from people with complaints of insomnia and that is a definite detriment to sleeping through the night.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

sleepless too

i often have trouble getting to sleep until 2 am or so, not good when my 2 yr old grandbaby is coming over by 7 am for the whole day!

read many suggestions, tried some, not sure if they work or not but here what i've tried.

articles and dr. said to turn off electronics- computer, ereader, etc. read a real book, lower lights as it nears your bedtime, no caffeine after lunch, have bedtime routine & stick to it.

lately warm tea (non-caffeine) has helped me to relax. still read my nook but use the black out screen & lowest light setting.
      trying to wean myself off MSW late at night & the arcade games.

no naps is not negiotable for me- if my body wants to go to sleep during the day, it will no matter what i decide!!!
      only on days that i got to sleep at decent hour (before 12) or slept late (after 9 or so), i might can miss a nap.

sorry there's no magic solution i can offer.

i know relaxation/ meditation in dim or no light (in bed) thinking of beach, waves rolling in & out, etc. have helped me get to sleep.

there is a yoga sleep routine, if you google that you'll find several suggestions, if you're into that. they looked like a good idea, just haven't tried yet.

certainly hope you can find a routine or some help to sleep.

praying you have a good night!
      take care & God bless ya!
      "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Marti, love your signature line. I've battled insomnia most of my adult life, as well as MS. I can't move around well anymore and believe lack of exercise is a big part of the problem for me now. And I've tried all the 'suggestions',

go to bed and get up routinely. Check.

I drink one cup of coffee when I get up and water the rest of the day. No tea or pop.
        Don't drink Caffine after ..... check.

Don't nap, I've never been a nap person.... check.

I take drugs to sleep. It has been the ONLY thing that has truly helped me to sleep.

Moral to the story?? There is none. There is no good answer to get better sleep.
        Karen

Comment

Originally posted by Karenkay View Post
          Marti, love your signature line. I've battled insomnia most of my adult life, as well as MS. I can't move around well anymore and believe lack of exercise is a big part of the problem for me now. And I've tried all the 'suggestions',

go to bed and get up routinely. Check.

I drink one cup of coffee when I get up and water the rest of the day. No tea or pop.
          Don't drink Caffine after ..... check.

Don't nap, I've never been a nap person.... check.

I take drugs to sleep. It has been the ONLY thing that has truly helped me to sleep.

Moral to the story?? There is none. There is no good answer to get better sleep.

I totally get you. There is no "cure" and we are just going to have to resign ourselves to drugs. Or we could just learn NOT to sleep at all!
          Marti

Comment

Thank you all. Looks like we're all in the same boat, up all night unless we give in to the meds. And I do give in! Sometimes we just have to bite the bullet and face the music. I truly believe that illnesses like MS, Graves Disease, Gastric problems all come with built in anxiety and sleeplessness.
            Marti

Comment

To this day since 7/2013 when I was diagnosed and given high dose steroids I have not slept 1 night without meds.

I do exercise, zero caffeine before diagnosis and currently 1 soda if any per day. Today none.

Naps after work and mental sharpness is required for my career. I have discussed this at length with my neaurogist and family doctor, they just tell me to keep taking meds.

In the boat.

Comment

Gilliad I mean not Glaxo

Comment

marti, a family member actually recommended that I get more sleep when I talked about my untreatable insomnia. I always think of that conversation when I read one of your threads. Quacks me up every time.

I had persistant and chronic insomnia during the first 10yrs of my MS dx. Sleep meds induced drowseyness, but I was never able to attain any level of sleep, in terms of quality or quantity. The next day was made much worse, batteling the effects of insomnia, fatigue, plus a sleep med hangover.

Out of frustration and poor out come, I gave up trying sleep meds because the day after hangover put me over the edge. Eventually I started sleeping after 3 months of starting a new infusion DMT. MS Neuro confirmed that other patients with long term insomnia on the same DMT reported restored sleep, their insomnia resolved.

Maybe I should have persued a sleep med solution more agressively, maybe try every sleep med available, keep moving on the the next until something works, plus the 'tips' posted above.

Comment

Originally posted by there View Post
                    Gilead I mean not Glaxo and my spelling could be improved....
                    Lol that makes no sense when my other post was not posted. In that I mentioned I have not slept past 10 years either and have tried pretty much all drugs and herbs and supplements with no great success other than an hour here and there, but a new sleep drug has just been FDA approved.

Normally I don't have any faith in drug companies but since Gilead came out with an actual cure for HCV I decided to at least ask for samples at my last doc visit. A cure who would have thought, not me, and I actually have a friend who had HCV for 30 years and now it is gone (it does not also fix the damaged liver but still).

Comment

Marti: I was put on the antidepressant Remeron for the purpose of depression and sleeplessness. I take the little pill and in 30 minutes I am sleepy and sleep through the night. Whew! What a relief!

Take care
                      Lisa
                      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
                      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
                      Tysabri

Comment

ZzzQuill, can't sleep without it.

Likewise, I have struggled with this for years, ZzzQuill works for me. Good luck, I know it is frustrating, best of luck.

Originally posted by marti View Post
                        Is there any way to kick the insomnia symptom without taking prescriptions? I've been on things like Ambien, Clonazepam, Lorazepam, Neurontin etc for several years ( on and off ). But now I have dry mouth which led to periodontal disease.

I knew the meds were causing dry mouth, but never thought of the repercussions. I just knew I HAD to get some sleep. I have several autoimmune diseases which all cause insomnia. Felt like I had no choice but to take something.

I've tried Melatonin. Sometimes it helps other times... no.

Need some suggestions to sleep and to get off the meds.
                        - Tyler, DX- 06.1999

Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri, Techfidera, Gilenya

Comment

I've come to the conclusion that my insomnia isn't from my MS or other autoimmune diseases, that it is actually a sleep disorder. I read that if you can get to sleep in the day, then you don't truly have insomnia, because with it, you can't fall asleep anytime. I have read up on circadian rhythms and such, and figured out I am truly a night person. Trying to force myself to sleep when my body is not having it is never going to work. Even before MS, I was like this. So, I've adjusted to that.

You may want to talk to your doctor regarding getting a sleep study done before deciding on a course of action. My neuro recommended I get one. Then we did some talking regarding my history and figured it out. But they can be very informative with regards to what is the problem with the insomnia I guess.

Good luck to you.

Comment

SUNNYSANDIEGO

i have no trouble seeping anymore. Severe spasticity was waking me up at night. I have a personal trainer twice a week who comes to my house so I don't want to be tired. I was told to get medical marijuana card to eat a CBD chocolate square before bed. No drugs and sleep all night no spasticity. CBD is not the THC part that gets you stoned from marijuana. And it's natural not a drug.

Comment

Working...
                            X