Who has bladder problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who has bladder problems?

I had a first flare in 2006 that included lots of bladder problems. My GP prescribed me meds and I saw a urologist who did nothing as the meds were working. I had a second flare this past Sept but was lucky not to have bladder issues except for a little bit of urgency and night waking for a few days.

Two weeks ago I had a rough week both physically and emotionally. I woke up on a Monday morning and my bad leg was slightly worse. It got worse as the week went on and I started having bladder issues reminiscent of 2006. There are times I have no urge to go even though I should. I have a constant dull pressure feeling even after voiding and get up several times in the night. The stream is weak and there is not a lot coming out. I am bloated and can tell I am not emptying. I am not in pain but it is uncomfortable. Saw GP yesterday and no infection. She didn't give me any meds this time and got me in to see urologist next Tuesday.

How common are these bladder problems?

Are bladder problems part of a flare or can they happen at any time?
    Are bladder problems related to problems with your legs and walking?
    What is the usual testing and treatment for this?

Thanks for answering.

Sorry to hear. Here is my u detstanding.

Bladder problems are common in MS and can happen as part of a flare or separately. It is not a result of any problems with legs. If you are having a flare, it would explain why both appeared at same time. Mine appeared independent of a flare.

The urologist should do several tests, one of which will check to see how much urine remains in your bladder after you urinate. The can check flow. They will rule out any infection as well. It is possible that a renal ultrasound may also be performed.

As for treatment, there are different meds depending on what the urologist discovers. I believe there is also a PT exercises that can benefit some, but again, depends on what cause and diagnosis are determined.

I hope you get answers Tuesday. I have been taking Rx since 2007 and it has controlled problem pretty well.

Does your neuro know about return/worsening of symptoms? You should discuss.

Hope you feel better soon.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

My only bladder problem is frequent urination. I usually need to "go" every two hours, day and night. If I take two Calcium/Magnesium supplements daily, and four Oxybutrin daily, and if I refrain from drinking soda with caffeine after 3:00 pm, then I can go about once every three or four hours.

Or, if I have a UTI, then I have bladder problems until it is treated. UTI's have been much more common, following MS, than prior. A daily D-Mannose supplement (available from a health food store or amazon.com helps to prevent those). I prefer the NOW brand, and in a powder.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

My bladder problems started like yours several years ago. After a visit to my urologist they did several tests like pennstater said. I had an ultrasound to check for residual bladder fluid after voiding. I also had a urodynamic study. It involved placing several probes in your urethra, your vagina (if you are a woman), and in your anus. They fill your bladder up until you think you have to pee right then, and then they measure how much you did pee while you are sitting on the table (awkward!) but the last one I did I couldn't urinate at all. So I had a foley in for about two months, and then they put in a suprapubic catheter. Now I have a small bag that the urine automatically goes into and my life is much easier.

If your urologist will not do anything then its time to find another one. There are things that can be done.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Take care
        Lisa
        Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
        SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
        Tysabri

Comment

my bladder has been hit the hardest by my ms. symptoms came on gradually, not due to a flare but it's only gotten worse. i've been diagnosed with neurogenic bladder. i used to go a LOT. i'd feel the urge but couldn't make it to the bathroom in time. most of my accidents were at night tho because i used the bathroom so often during the day to prevent them. no medicine helped me, i tried several.

i'm using past tense because i've been getting botox injections for 6+ years now. it's been my life saver. i cringe when i look back on the days before it!

i wish you the best & hope meds keep working for you.
          MS dx's 2000
          Tysabrian

¤ fate is not just who's cooking smells good, but which way the wind blows ¤

Comment

I believe about 80% of those with MS have bladder dysfunction.

I have had urinary problems since the age of 4.

This consisted of chronic Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs) and chronic retention. I have had MS symptoms since childhood, it is unknown if my urinary problems are related to early MS or just a coincidence.

Are bladder problems part of a flare or can they happen at any time?
            Are bladder problems related to problems with your legs and walking?
            Yes to both questions. However, in regards to MS, urinary problems can happen with and without a connection to an exacerbation.

Hopefully, once you have testing done by a Urologist you will have more information as to the possible cause and treatment.
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Urgency

The issue I have with bladder is that when I gotta go, I gotta go. This can be difficult if I am driving on the highway, nowhere near a rest area, and lots of traffic. I have had some embarassing situations so I'm upfront with people and use the expression - "When I gotta go, I gotta go!" quite a bit. The humour helps ease the tension and helps people empathize with me if I have to rush off looking for a restroom.

Comment

I will admit to the frequency or frequent urges to void. Void = pee. I have had many UTI's since I was diagnosed with MS in 2009. Before that time, I never had any problem with that plumbing. I have seen an urologist 3 or 4 times in the last 2 months.
                The first time I had a consultation. The second visit I had an urodynamic study. It was like something used during the 'Spanish Inquisition'! I know the testing is critical. The next visit I was told that I would need to schedule some other test. I had that test about a week ago. Hello, 'Spanish Inquisition'. But this time the urologist told me that he doesn't think I will have any more problems. I am now hoping that I will never need to see that doctor again.
                That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I have bladder issues. It has progressed from a little urgency in the beginning to a suprapubic catheter now. I am primary progressive so a flare had nothing to do with it. I never had a UTI until I started to self cath, and then I would get them rather frequently. I still occasionally get them, but not nearly as often as I used to. Getting back to the bladder issues, it slowly progressed from a a little bit of urgency to suddenly having to scramble to get to the bathroom in time to out right leaking to self cathing to this suprapubic catheter. I will not
                  hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                  volunteer
                  MS World
                  hunterd@msworld.org
                  PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Actually, another bladder symptom that I have just developed, in the past 2 or 3 months, is that, in order to urinate, I have to "push" it out, in increments. Even when I need to "go", it won't come up unless I push it. Or, if I have to cough, or if I laugh too hard, then it comes out unbidden.

Anyone else have the have to push issue? Are there any solutions to that?
                    ~ Faith
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Mamabug i have to push too. i also didn't mention that in my reply above. i've had to for years & years (before i started getting botox). i think your urethra just doesn't get the signal that it needs to relax. i make a big fist using both hands & push on my bladder & lean forward. i've done it for so long, it's "normal" for me now.
                      MS dx's 2000
                      Tysabrian

¤ fate is not just who's cooking smells good, but which way the wind blows ¤

Comment

I have bladder problems as well. When I was fairly new to MS, I started having difficulties. I would think I emptied my bladder, then if I went on a walk, I would have strong urination urges that kept me from finishing my walk. Things got worse until I got to the point where I had Mamabug's symptom, having to "push" out, in increments.

And yes, I have an answer! Part of it involves using a medication that relaxes the bladder muscles. I started with Oxybutynin, but it had a terrible side effect, constipation. I am grateful that I was able to start using a new med, Myrbetriq, which is not as constipating. If I forget to take the med for a day or two, my bladder gets very small and painful.

The other part of the answer is something I thought meant my life was over when it was proposed to me: self-cathing. Very soon it became as easy as brushing one's teeth, and it is not a big problem in my life at all. In fact, I am "freer" than some of my friends who have ordinary aging bladder problems, as I can go for several hours without having to visit the restroom. I just have to remember to take a couple of catheters with me when I leave the house.

I used to get a lot of bladder infections, but that improved greatly when I started using disposable catheters (before that I would boil the catheters in order to reuse them). I have used a catheter now for 15 years. No big deal.

It is a neurogenic bladder I have, which I imagine is preferable to leaking problems or other kinds of incontinence. It would be a terrible problem if I didn't have my Myrbetriq and self-catheterization. But I have both.

You know who invented the earliest American flexible catheter? Benjamin Franklin.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                          Anyone else have the have to push issue? Are there any solutions to that?
                          Because I have always dealt with retention I learned a couple of tricks that seem to work for me. One is pushing (short, quick pushes).

Or, if I have to cough, or if I laugh too hard, then it comes out unbidden.
                          This can happen with age and is not necessarily related to MS. Hopefully your discussing your urinary issues with your Dr.
                          Diagnosed 1984
                          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I noticed a few people mentioned the need to " push".

I can't remember why, but I know my urologist always asks about that as he said it is a separate problem from the one I have and can cause other problems and damage if left untreated. I don't go again until summer but will try to retain why.

You may want to discuss with a doctor.
                            Kathy
                            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thanks. I will; good suggestion.
                              ~ Faith
                              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                              X