Can not walk on heals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can not walk on heals

What does it mean to the neurologist when the patient can't walk barefoot on their heals? Mine does this test every time and I have never been able to do it. In fact, she quit making me try. So, what does this mean in neurological testing? What does this tell the doctor?
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Hi Marti,

This isn't a test I can't do anymore, either. In fact, it's been a long time since I even had it tested. Since you haven't been able to do it at all for awhile, your neuro knows this is permanent. It also gives the doctor and idea where you have lesions, and the extent of the damage.

This involves your gait. Your neuro was checking the dorsoflection (ability to lift the top part = dorso) of your foot upward, towards the shin. This movement also involves the ankle. This test checks for weakness.

(The opposite is plantarflexion, which is the ability to put your foot downward.)

She was also looking at your toes.

The strength of the muscles involved affects not only how you walk, but how fast.

You may find this interesting, it explains some of our neurological testing: https://informatics.med.nyu.edu/modu...rdination.html

Best wishes,
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

That's a very interesting link--thanks, Kimba. I like understanding what they're looking for when they prod here and poke there.
      PPMS
      Dx 07/13

Comment

I can walk on my toes no problem. When I walk on my heals my right is fine, but my left can't do it.

Comment

Working...
        X