Work in a health care setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work in a health care setting

Hello all. I have the opportunity to work in a nursing home for the second half of my senior year social work internship. I like the place and am excited about exploring a new and different field in social work than forensic. But...

I am kind of concerned about the exposure to illness. I am on gilenya and have the expected lower WBC. I have not felt more susceptible to illness or disease so far but health care facilities seem to be germier than any place I usually frequent!

Can anyone give me their two cents? I'd love to hear from someone who does or has worked in a health care setting and how you think it affected your health. Thanks!

Make sure you wash your hands frequently, even after wearing gloves for anything. If you're around people who are doing a lot of coughing or that you know are sick, wear a mask to protect yourself. As long as you take proper precautions, you should minimize your risk of getting sick.

I used to work in a hospital, but it was before all my MS issues popped up and took me out of work. It did seem like the drs sure passed around their illnesses to each other, but I didn't find that I got sick a lot. Of course, I wasn't immunosuppressed either, so it might be hard to compare.
    Diagnosed 1/4/13
    Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Comment

Having worked in a sicu for 35 years, 17 with MS I can understand your concern. Just be careful to observe precautions. Wear gloves, masks, etc when required and wash your hands. I've never caught anything from my patients. I have gotten colds from fellow employees but that can happen at any workplace. There's a lot of flu going around now, so extra reason to be careful

Enjoy the internship opportunity.

Comment

I wouldn't think the geri crowd poses as big a risk as peds would simply because they don't get exposed to much and they don't interact as much.

I definitely got more annoying but harmless colds the first year I worked peds but not any other rotation.Definitely wash, wash, wash.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Sorry for the delayed response but I did read all your replies and appreciate the input!

I am getting into the swing of things and have found that the nurses are very clear about what, when, and where precautions need to be taken. Sometimes I think I get over-nervous about the Gilenya and MS so I do appreciate people who have been down a similar road already.

Thanks all!

Comment

Working...
          X