Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would a cruise work for a person with MS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My MS Group recently went on a cruise. I did not go because I have CNS Dizziness. I have been on cruises prior MS and have not had any problems. But with CNS dizziness I could see myself probably getting off at the first port.

Why don't you try a Dinner Cruise here in the States. If you can handle that...a cruise should be a breeze...the large ships are much more stable.

No one in the MS group reported any problems with their symptoms.
    Katie
    "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
    "My MS is a Journey for One."
    Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by Turmeric View Post
      Does anyone have experience with taking a cruise in order to make it easier to travel? I have realized that it is very difficult for me to accompany my husband on a trip that requires a lot of walking (mostly my bowel problems), and I am wondering if anyone has any tips for cruise travel.
      We have cruised many times and have 2 planned. On our most recent trip, we got an accessible cabin and it was terrific! I use a transport wheelchair for long distances, and avoid excursions that would be problematic. I'd be happy to talk further with you. I think it's a great way to travel!

Comment

loved cruising

I went on my first cruise this past summer, Royal Caribbean, and loved it! I was definitely afraid of getting seasick since that did happen to me once on a fishing boat years ago but on this large ship in the very smooth Caribbean, it was great. I rented a scooter which took some getting used to but once you practice a bit, it's easy. I had an accessible room with ample space for the motorized scooter and a wheelchair which the staff let me use on the one excursion I went on which was to Key West.

I enjoyed the great meals, the fun shows, the cocktail lounges, sitting by the pool, people watching. Could not do everything that my friends did but enjoyed everything that I could do. I think it is a great option for a MS person. I am signing up for another next summer. Try it. I think you will be happy. Good Luck! Enjoy!

Comment

Been on 5 Cruises

I have been on 5 cruises. 3 before I knew I had MS and two after. I just finished my Disney cruise on the Magic. All cruise lines will accommodate those of us with MS. On this last cruise, I had an inside cabin (my first) and it was nice. Better than I expected. The fun with a cruise is that you can pick where you want to be on the ship. I recommend to stay on a lower deck mid ship (Deck 6). That way you don't have the effects of the waves as much. Plan with your travel agent who knows the ship to guide you to the best room. A travel agent is the best way to go when you do plan on taking one. I was a travel agent. It is worth it.

Comment

My experience with cruise

Hi Turmeric
            I have cruised few times.(Mexico and Alaska), I love cruising
            I use power scooter so easily could maneuver around. Staff are very well familiar with helping people with difficulties .
            in public area there is a restroom 3 minutes away from you (no matter where you are)
            make sure to book accessible room as it's a bigger room, has rolling shower and wider door(if you use wheelchair or scooter)
            in dining area, staff offer help to carry your tray/plate.
            other good thing is that different type of activities are planned which can suits interest of individual with impaired mobility as well as their companion (if interested in having more active days/nights)

when ship docks you have choice of staying in ship or leaving for excursions or just navigating through downtowns

if you see "Tender transfer" in your trip itinerary , means passengers get transported to shore by boat so you may check accessibility of boats before booking if it matters to you to go to shore.

you can book excursions on cruise line's web site , they show level of complexity or if it's accessible or not.

what I dislike
            I wasn't happy with shower bench, it's too low for me but that depends on your situation and level of your difficulty.
            no bars in room/cabins

all together I enjoy traveling with cruise and I think is the best way of traveling for people with mobility problem

I hope this helps,
            brave

Comment

Question for you cruisers. Is the boat really steady or is it a little rocky? No one mentioned problems balancing while walking, so does that mean it's not a problem? I can walk on flat ground but a little shake would be a problem.
              Dx 1/86 at age 23
              Copaxone 1993 - 2011 (except when I was pregnant or nursing)
              Tysabri - 2011 - present

Comment

I have just been diagnosed with MS in the last few weeks; however, based on what I now know, I have been dealing with this for at least ten years or maybe even twenty. In that whole time I have been on six cruises with a seventh coming up in August.

Everybody has issues with the movement of the ship, even the staff. My walking is not as good as it was so I'll have more to report in August, but that's not why I'm writing.

I have been on Carnival, Holland America, Princess, Norwegian, and Disney (twice). I find the staff always very attentive to the needs of the passengers.

The best in my opinion (and limited experience) is Holland America. Most people take lunch buffet-style up on the Lido deck. Pushing a tray along the buffet line isn't generally a problem for most people but getting it to a table can be a challenge if you have trouble walking. The staff on all the cruise ships will help you with this but, on my Holland America cruise, you didn't have to ask. There were staff members stationed around the dining area and if they see someone who appears like they might have a problem navigating the dining room they go over, take their tray, and bring it to their table. Occasionally there is some stubborn old guy (my wife would put me in that category) who insists he is OK and can handle it but they can usually coerce the tray out of his hands. They are very subtle about it because it took me a couple of days to realize that this was going on.

If the motion of the boat is too bad you can always order room service; or, if you have an able-bodied person in your party you can have someone go to the Lido deck where they almost always serve the same dinner that they serve in the dining room. They can bring dinner back for you.

I have one suggestion. If you think you will be spending a lot of rest time in your cabin you should really consider spending the extra money for at least a balcony or maybe even a mini-suite. Having the slider open, getting fresh air, seeing the view, and ordering room service is not the worst way to go.

Oh, and if you go on Disney don't forget to call room service and order the hot chewy chocolate chip cookies!!

Comment

Working...
                X