Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would a cruise work for a person with MS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would a cruise work for a person with MS?

Does anyone have experience with taking a cruise in order to make it easier to travel? I have realized that it is very difficult for me to accompany my husband on a trip that requires a lot of walking (mostly my bowel problems), and I am wondering if anyone has any tips for cruise travel.

would be my choice

I have not done a cruise. But, I would be on in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

Talk to the cruise personnel as soon as you can. You do not need to go into great detail, but, the money you spend is there for them to help. They have handled situation like yours before and they will again.

Any excursions would most likely be the biggest issue. But, once again the cruise personnel should be able to help there, also.
    God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

I have cruised, twice, since I have been diagnosed with MS. You should consider medical care, on-board and at your ports of call. The cruise ships staff and the travel agency should help you with putting together a plan so you can have a good experience. Good luck

Comment

Check this out! The MSF (MS Foundation) has a cruise designed for people with MS going to different destinations each year. You can be certain they have taken into consideration what our various needs are - http://www.msfocus.org/Cruise-for-a-Cause.aspx

This one is for 2016.
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Just Got Back From A cruise, For The Most Part It Was Great. The Personnel On Carnival Were Awesome. They Do Help As Much As Possible. You Do What You Want When You Want. If You Just Want To Sit Back And People Watch Do It. I Did NoT Do Any ExcursiMs, That Too Much For Me. I Did Travel Around In A Wheelchair Most Of The Time So I Wouldn't Get Too Tired.
          On A Bad Note Made Me A But Sad Not To Be "Normal".While People Watching Made Me Sad How People Just Walk And Walk Back And Forth.
          Was Nice To Get Away And The Price Was Right And Carnival Cruises Are Always Fun And The Good Is Great.
          DIAGNOSED=2012
          ISSUES LONG BEFORE
          REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

Capital letters

Why all the capital letters? Seems like a lot of extra work. It is also somewhat distracting.

Comment

Thank you, everyone, for your helpful replies!

I will definitely do my research.

Comment

Can I Cruise?

Okay cruisers- I am phobic (yeah THAT bad!!!) about heights. Can I Cruise?

Comment

Been at this "MS thing" for 14 years, and earned two cruises from work before I was forced to retire.

My symptoms were serious at the time, but not at the very worst I've been. We really enjoyed the cruise, and it worked out well. I would gladly go again... if someone else was paying!

The one delicious irony of trip was watching all the "well" people moving dizzily and off-balance, like I get to do EVERY day. When we were at sea, it gave my wife a little perspective of what she sees as a regular part on my life.

It really was a good experience, though! Hope you get a chance to do it.
                  "He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." ~James Elliot

Comment

off balance...

that is why I have chosen NOT to cruise... would love to hear more from people that have gone.

If you see people who do not have balance and vertigo issues stumbling b/c of the ocean waves, won't that make my issues more pronounced? I do not want to feel worse about the balance and instability than I already do.

thanks
                    karen
                    You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Comment

thelegendlc

How And Why I Type The Way I Do Was Not The Point Of The Story.

But, Since Your So Curious My Phone Does It. I Don't Know Why And Really Don't Care Enough To Change It .

SO PICKY, BIGGER STUFF TO WORRY ABOUT!

DIAGNOSED=2012
                      ISSUES LONG BEFORE
                      REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

We're going on a cruise in the Mediterranean in June. I'm super excited about it but a little nervous about the heat as I don't do at all well when I get hot - pain, leg spasms etc.

Counting down the weeks until the holiday, but so much stuff to get done beforehand!!

Comment

I've been checking out the MS Cruise for 2016 (to Alaska!). Never been on a cruise; never been to Alaska. Could do without a cruise, but definitely would love to see Alaska.

For those of you who have experience with cruises - and especially interested if anyone has been on the MS Cruise - are there a lot of MSers that travel alone?

I'm fine traveling alone...but, on the other hand, don't want to be the only one in a sea of travelers with partners.

Anyone?

Probably another thread brewing (in my mind), but it's frustrating that everyone assumes MSers have a partner (whether its a "care partner" or life partner). Very frustrating. I have neither. I don't think programs should assume that it's a package deal.

Comment

Zilphia and Turmeric...I just cruised in November '14 on the Allure of the Seas, Royal Caribbean, largest ship in the world. Because it is so large, you can't feel it move. I was nervous as well, as I can't walk, pretty much, at all, and I am forced to use a cane for even a few steps. I bought a transport wheelchair to get me on the ship.

I also rented a scooter, using Special Needs at Sea, which was in my room when we boarded. I had never used a scooter before, so I was slightly nervous, but it was a great time to learn, as I couldn't rely on my mother to constantly push me around the ship. I am unable to use my right arm/hand, so if I'm in a wheelchair, I must always be pushed by someone.

We had an accessible junior suite. Wow, the room was big enough to ride the scooter in. The shower was a roll-in, so there is no need to worry about a step. They also have a bench to sit on. There were so many people on the ship using scooters, wheelchairs, knee chairs, walkers, canes. People of ALL ages. The crew went out of their way to always make sure I was happy. I went to every show. There is handicap seating and the views are great.

Sure, I missed dancing, flow riding, hang gliding, and ice skating, but, aside from the hang gliding on the ship, I'm lucky enough to say I've done it all before on the ship from prior cruises. I had a great time. I'm already looking forward to the next cruise, now that I'm a pro with the scooter. Do it. You'll have a great time. The ships are very accessible.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Comment

Originally posted by zilphia01 View Post
                              that is why I have chosen NOT to cruise... would love to hear more from people that have gone.

If you see people who do not have balance and vertigo issues stumbling b/c of the ocean waves, won't that make my issues more pronounced? I do not want to feel worse about the balance and instability than I already do.

thanks
                              karen
                              zilphia,

As with all things MS, "your mileage my vary," but I was no worse off for balance onboard the ship than I am every day in my living room!

The hallways were excellent for my "touch the little finger to wall walk" technique, and the motion of the ship bothered my healthy wife far more than it did me. Railings seemed to be everywhere to add support.

For me, it was a winning experience. I hope it is for you, too, if you decide to go.
                              "He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." ~James Elliot

Comment

Working...
                              X