Dignitas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dignitas

Seems quite dignified to me. I was never a fan of "yoof in Asia", but these days I can see the point. Paid my money, just to join, doesn't mean I have to ride the pony.

When there are no good options, sometimes reasonable becomes the least bad of the options.

But dignity might be what you make it. Dignity could be shouting to your captor, "You'll never take me alive."

Dignity could also be having to be dragged to the gallows screaming, "You can't make me surrender."

Personally, I'm hoping I never have to make the choice; I'm afraid no matter what I'd get to the point it was too late to change my mind and wish I still could.

Comment

Not my style, but good for you.
      Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

I just joined, too. What I worry about is that Mr. Minelli is getting older. If he dies I don't know if Dignitas will be able to continue. He is a very sharp lawyer who keeps the organization going. He personally sent me the confirmation of my membership.

I'm planning to send my medical records for review. If I get approved, there is no pressure to go. There is no expiration date. He says many people feel such relief when they get approved that they manage to carry on to their natural end.

Comment

That's all I wanted, too, Palmtree. It seems very well-organised, and there's no pressure, no secrecy, no hurried botched attempts, with dodgy drugs, no shame, because it is legal.

I don't want to do it ant time soon, but to know it is available is such a relief.

My Aunt was Dutch, where euthanasia is more or less legal. She didn't have MS, but she could hardly breathe, couldn't walk and after thirty years, she'd had enough. She had a good life and she had a good death, if such a thing is possible. Peaceful, respectful, gentle surrounded by her friends.

Comment

I don't know if it makes it easier for the family but I hope so. When I see my son I think about what it will be like when I tell him I want to go. All these years I've been pretending everything is ok so he will feel secure in the family. Then, suddenly I leave? I don't know.

Then I wonder if I'm setting an example of giving up. He's drowning in student loans and feels fatalistic about it. If I go, will he go too?

Comment

Working...
            X